Great Tits very late brood?

Hello All.

I currently have a clutch of Great Tit chicks in a nest box in my garden. How unusual is it for Great Tits to breed so late in the year (July 8th)?

Thanks in advance.

• Very unusual assuming the clutch wasn't abandoned prev.
  • we just had some great tits leave our nest box last week, after about four or five weeks inside. i haven't looked inside the box yet, but they haven't been back since the weekend
  • There will have been quite a few later attempts and presumably many of those will have been second attempts after a disasterous April/May. Laying in July though is very late.
  • I should have asked if this is UK. Is it? Also, are the eggs being incubated?
  • In reply to Robbo:

Hi Robbo. Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm in the UK (Nottingham). The nest box is high, on the side of my house. As far as we know it is the first time the box has been used this year. We didn't realise they were nesting in there until a couple of weeks ago when we noticed a great tit (or great tits) visiting the box occasionally. A few days ago we started to hear the babies in the box whenever the parent(s) entered the box. I haven't looked in the box, but the babies are now very noisy.
  • Got to admit I misread the initial post and just saw 'clutch', so added another couple of weeks or so to the lateness. Still late though for young to be still in the nest.