Found a robin’s nest—eggs + 1 hatchlings—on the ground after removing a bag of rubbish (now disposed of). It’s not clear how far under the bag the nest was. Do we leave it exposed, or try to shelter it with something new? Parents are still tending it.

Found a robin’s nest—eggs + 1 hatchlings—on the ground after removing a bag of rubbish (now disposed of). It’s not clear how far under the bag the nest was. Do we leave it exposed, or try to shelter it with something new? Parents are still tending it.

• Oh dear, maybe you could try and surround with some potted shrubs if you have some but they may abandon the nest now its exposed.

Maybe others will have some better ideas for you

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• In reply to Linda257:

Thanks! There’s an old grain dispenser on legs that’s been near the nest’s location for years, so the birds are used to it. It has legs and would fit handily over the nest with a 3” clearance. Should I try it?
  • I guess its worth a try however it could still be easy prey for foxes , cats and things now its exposed as it may have been a tight squeeze under the bag. Sorry there is no ideal solution but at this time of the year most of us just think let's get the garden sorted ...cutting down trees and digging out shrubs and stuff while our wee birds are trying to set up home in them.

• In reply to Linda257:

I’ve moved the feeder to within a foot of the nest.. Parents are still tending it. Perhaps tomorrow I’ll put the feeder right over top of it. It’s very close to where our giant dog is often tied. With canine scent there, maybe Foxy will be dissuaded. No cats around. Will post news, good or bad!
  • Rather than moving the feeder, I leaned a board against it at an acute angle to the ground, forming a shelter over the nest. Placed a brick along its bottom edge so the board couldn’t slide down and flatten the residents! After a few minutes of confusion and inspection, the returning parents flew under the board and have been coming and going regularly ever since. Fingers crossed, the family is intact!
  • Many thanks for good news update Wendy!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well done Wendy...its always worth trying something