Nuthatch, why not in certain areas?

Hi all,

Like many during these difficult times, I turned to nature during the first national lockdown, joining the RSPB in the process.

I am blessed to work on the fringe of a small wood and erected a bird feeder in the springtime, finding a few minutes of relaxation and solice each day simply observing the birds enjoying the offerings I put out.

I watched the nesting Tits fledge during the first few weeks and have since counted well over 30 different species in the vicinity of the feeder in just these few short months.

One species that I am yet to have the pleasure to observe however, is the Nuthatch.

Upon reading the RSPB Nuthatch page, it seems there are a few regions that do not feature them. Sadly I happen to reside in one such area. Given the abundance of other birds I have been visited by, including a family of 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, I shouldn't feel too hard done by!

Can anyone shed any light on why there are no Nuthatches in these regions highlighted below, please? Presumably it's down to habitat? Lack of a certain tree-type?

Thanks for any information.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/nuthatch/