Squirrels and Nyger Seed

I have now excepted that there is no getting rid of the squirrels in my garden and have to upgrade to squirrel proof feeders. What i have noticed is that i use a cheap plastic nyger seed feeder and the squirrels don't even take a look at this. Anybody know why ? staying with the nyger seed feeder i now seem to have at least 2 Goldfinch visit regular now and these don't seem to bother with the nyger seed either they much prefer the sunflower hearts.  

As i write this i am chuffed to say i have a female Greenfinch at my feeders this is only the 2nd greenfinch i have seen in my garden so well pleased 

• I would hesitate a guess is that they cannot grip on with the plastic but knowing squirrels they will find a way eventually. I have one coming in and taking the peanuts never seen it yet but a neighbour keeps telling me about it lol. My goldfinch love the nyger seed but they seem to throw more on the ground so have switched to sunflower hearts so the other birds can eat what falls. I am going to buy a feeder with the plastic plate on the bottom so the nyger seed  doesn't go on the ground as round the bottom of the pole it is growing hundred of nyger grass ? Not many greenfinches this year but plenty of other birds.

Sue

• I used to have a squirrel problem too. They are such clever little devils. Got really good at pulling out the plastic perches from the feeders knowing that all the feed would fall to the ground. Tried small metal ones but they used to do a runner with them, so I bought some four port metal feeders and these are much too heavy for them to run off with; also they are unable to remove any of the perches, completely squirrel proof. 

As for the nut feeders, I have had to put a sanctuary around it as they would wreck the feeders. One youngster did get stuck half-way in it and was taken out by a Sparrowhawk, needless to say they haven't tried it since. I don't get them visit the garden any more thankfully. They used to dig up all my bulbs and pots and then made a nest in the roof. They haven't touched my Nyjer feeders either; maybe they don't like Nyjer seed. If ever they do, then I know that switching to a metal feeder will solve the problem.

• Yes i have upgraded to the RSPB premium feeders seems to be working so far although i have noticed some of the paint has been chewed off on one of the ports. Maybe nyger seed is distasteful to

• hooky87 said:

Yes i have upgraded to the RSPB premium feeders seems to be working so far although i have noticed some of the paint has been chewed off on one of the ports. Maybe nyger seed is distasteful to

yeah they will still have a good go at getting in them, but rest assured they will soon give up. Just to let you know, the sanctuary on the nut feeder hasn't deterred any of my birds from using it at all. Even the shy Sparrows jump in it several at a time. Wilkinson's Hardware store are selling nut feeders complete with sanctuary for £5.99 at the moment if you want to give it a try without the huge expense. If you find it works then you can always upgrade to a more expensive one. The wilkos one is really good quality and value for the price.

• Grey Squirrels are an absolute menace to any garden, particularly feeders, they are not native to this Country and cause devastation wherever they are allowed to exist....they are very strong and aggressive and no bird short of an Owl can defend itself against them....they wreak havoc on our native bird populations and hence rightly so they should all be put down or taken back to the USA from whence they came.......Before anyone starts to feel sorry for them, remember this, every year they take the eggs and young of countless birds unable to defend themselves, since most bird nests are carefully hidden from us, this piracy occurs without many of us being aware of it.....As such, if you continue to allow them to feed in your garden unabated, you are unwittingly, assisting their cause   

• My Plastic Niger feeders worked well last year bringing lots of Goldfinch’s. This year a squirrel gnawed through the plastic releasing all the seed. Who said Squirrels don’t eat Niger seed? Truth is they eat everything.
  • i tried that 'squirrel proof' food once, you can get suet cakes and suet pellets with chilli mixed in with it. apparently birds cant taste the heat of chilli but squirrels can so they don't like it.
    it did actually seem to work. the squirrels had a couple of goes at it and then completely left it alone.
    but i went back to normal food in the end because it was a bit more pricey
  • AndrewClevely said:
    My Plastic Niger feeders worked well last year bringing lots of Goldfinch’s. This year a squirrel gnawed through the plastic releasing all the seed. Who said Squirrels don’t eat Niger seed? Truth is they eat everything.

Yes squirrels will eat anything and go to great lengths for food.

Andrew, are you aware you're replying to a thread that was last used over eleven years ago?