Lost ringed Dove

2 weeks ago a beautiful white ringed Dove flew into my garden.  For nearly a week it stayed in the vicinity.  Amazingly, even if i didnt see it all day it reappeared at about 6pm each evening.  I made attempts with bread to try and lure it close so as i could attempt to catch it and hand it over to the RSVB.   It then disappeared and i feared the worst.  However it came back again yesterday.  It has taken to sitting on a neighbours central heating flue pipe.  I suppose for warmth.  Does anyone know if it can survive in the wild or how i could lure it back to my garden and catch it in order for it to survive.  I feel really sorry for it.  Its a beautiful bird.

• Hi Luvbird do not know if it is the same type but suspect it is that inhabit lots of farm buildings and lots of farms have small wild flocks of perhaps ten birds so I would think it will not come to any harm and eventually join up with a small group of white doves. 

• Welcome to the RSPB Community luvbird.

I'd agree with Sooty here. Domesticated pigeons/doves often wander but tend to find their way back to companions and shelter at some point.

If you do ever acquire a wayward bird I'd suggest that you contact one of the animal welfare/rescue organisations rather than the RSPB which isn't set up for handling captive strays.

JBNTS 

• Hi luvbird

Don't worry too much about it

If you want to feed it ordinary wild bird seed will be ok

I.ve had 4 and lost them but I believe they are with others as I now get up to 9 vsiting

Ray

• Hi Sooty

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  Although i live in a village the countryside is on my doorstep as is Strangford Lough and a Country Park.  There would be alot of farm buildings about so perhaps you are right.  I had assumed that as he has a ring on one of his legs that he belonged to a caring owner but had just got lost trying to find his way home.  My concern has been that my daughter was told that some doves are bred and released at functions ie weddings.  As he appeared on a Saturday we just assumed this was the case.  However, she was told that they are not like homing pigeons and cannot find their way home nor would they be able to survive like a wild bird. Although we have many beautiful birds in the area i have never seen a dove before.  I will take heart from your reply and hope he makes friends soon.  Thanks again!!

• Hi John B

Many Thanks to you also for your quick reply.  Read my reply to Sooty if you havent already done so.  Thanks also for the tip if i should be lucky enough to capture him.  I hadnt realised that the RSPB wouldnt have had a rescue shelter of sorts.  I will contact the USPCA if i should need to.   He arrived back after disappearing today and as i write this i can see him perched on the neighbours heating flue pipe.  I think he is settling down for the night. I just feel so sorry for him.  Hope hes not pining for wherever he came from and i hope hes getting enough to survive on.  Its been just over two weeks now so i suppose he must be getting something to eat.  Thanks again!!

• Hi Ray

Many Thanks to you also for you prompt reply.  I have appreciated them all very much.  An extra big Thank You to you for the beautiful pictures you sent.  They are just gorgeous!!  Will you read my replies to Sooty and John B just to save me going over it all again.  I will take up your suggestion and put out some wild bird food starting tomorrow.   There are lots of berried trees around so the wild birds that flock to my garden dont usually need anything just now but he may not know to eat them.  I have plenty of bird baths if he should need a drink or wash.

I will try not to worry but its difficult when he seems to be lost and very much alone.   Thanks again!!

• Hi Ray sorry to bother you again so quickly. I was just looking at your pictures again.  My bird feeders are more suited to small birds like the little blue tits that i have in abundance.  You seem to have put a tub on your spouting.  Would this be the best locatation for him or ontop of a shed roof?

Thanks.

• luvbird said:

Hi Ray sorry to bother you again so quickly. I was just looking at your pictures again.  My bird feeders are more suited to small birds like the little blue tits that i have in abundance.  You seem to have put a tub on your spouting.  Would this be the best locatation for him or ontop of a shed roof?

Thanks.

Hi luvbird

if you have a flat bird table just spread it on there.

The ones I have are for parrots and got them from pets at home but they are fastened to the dove cote.

If you don't have a bird table then spread a bit on the ground it might help to call him and let him see you putting the food out.

Only a handfull is sufficiant.

as regards doves for weddings, They aren't doves they are white pigeons that have a homing instinct and reurn back to the owner.

Ray

• Thanks Ray.  Your advice is invaluable.  Will get the food sorted tomorrow.  I was surprised but pleased to hear that its not Doves that are released at functions like weddings.  I suppose they look the same to the untrained eye.  At least thats one worry taken care of.  I suppose as he has a ring on his leg he has just got lost from his owner like yours did. Feeling happier about his survival chances now thanks to you guys!!  You have all been great!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

• I live in Tipton St John near Ottery St Mary and on Saturday I noticed a dove on the flat roof of an open storage area close to the house in my back garden. I noticed the bird had a streamer of wide cello tape stuck to its tail feathers which seemed to be in a permanent "fan" position. I searched on the net for contact details of an appropriate local body that could help. He could however fly from roof top to roof top but I think his flight was impeded . He is very beautiful with a pale greyish head and a pinky brown iridescent pinky throat merging into a coffee mottled with white breast. His back and tail are white. I have a photo. His legs are red.

Meanwhile as I feed my birds regularly and have a variety of bird food and this bird seemed keen to eat some of the seeds. Towards dusk I noticed that he had gone but a beautiful white dove with a blue ring was nestled on a post close to my bedroom. She has a blue leg ring. She slept there all night. Last night another female joined her and both were somehow asleep on the small open window above the picture window next to my bed.

PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU KNOW PEOPLE WHO KEEP WHITE DOVES WITH BLUE LEG RINGS. I think my photo of the male displays a clear leg ring.

Both females seem to be thinking of adopting me. I want to find their owner as I know they need a dovecote!!

Hope to hear from someone as am happy to give them a home but would rather they were back in their rightful home.
    Meanwhile I feel the are in jeopardy!

Jacky Poole Metcombe