Hedgehog questions.

About six weeks ago I saw three Hedgehogs in the garden, since then I have put food out for them each evening.  My partner has made a house for them to hibernate in.  They have already been in it and had a look around.  My questions are:  Will they hibernate together?  (or do I need two more houses)  Where is the best place to position the house?  There is a very sheltered spot I have in mind but it would be on slabs, would it be better to place it on the earth amongst the shrubs?

I have been told not to put any bedding in the house as they prefer to make their own bed, is this correct?

• I think it's a case of all for one and one for all.

How about the names  Athos, Porthos and Aramis.

Robert

• Hi. some years ago I successfully overwintered an autumn infant. I called her Squeak, as when I held her she pawed at me and squeaked. Overwintering is not easy, we kept her in a box like a rabbit hutch in a spare bedroom. You have to keep them awake all winter by proving exactly the right temperature- we obtained a heater from a zoo supplier. Tiny as she was (4ozs) she built her own nest in the sleeping compartment. from newspaper and straw. It was a lot of work but wonderful, towards release time I had to teach her to be nocturnal by witholding food until after dark- she banged her food dish against the bars in temper! We put her box in an old aviary in May, and made a tunnel underneath it. I vidioed all the winter and the release-which took her three hours. Two weeks later she retuned with a mate, for several years I sat in the garden every night and filmed them, including several matings, in the end I had about 10 hogs visiting- sometimes the babies would blunder into my feet and climb up onto my lap. I could tell them apart from quill patterns and one called Speedy, loved chicken bones. I had several successful hibernations-always solitary in seperate boxes, waiting to see if they emerge the next spring was awful, but only one died. Sadly they all suddenly disapeared and I haven't seen any signs of them for 28 months-but keep hoping.

You need to stand the hog houses on slabs or similar as rats can tunnel in from underneath.

Have fun!

• min said:

Hi. some years ago I successfully overwintered an autumn infant. I called her Squeak, as when I held her she pawed at me and squeaked. Overwintering is not easy, we kept her in a box like a rabbit hutch in a spare bedroom. You have to keep them awake all winter by proving exactly the right temperature- we obtained a heater from a zoo supplier. Tiny as she was (4ozs) she built her own nest in the sleeping compartment. from newspaper and straw. It was a lot of work but wonderful, towards release time I had to teach her to be nocturnal by witholding food until after dark- she banged her food dish against the bars in temper! We put her box in an old aviary in May, and made a tunnel underneath it. I vidioed all the winter and the release-which took her three hours. Two weeks later she retuned with a mate, for several years I sat in the garden every night and filmed them, including several matings, in the end I had about 10 hogs visiting- sometimes the babies would blunder into my feet and climb up onto my lap. I could tell them apart from quill patterns and one called Speedy, loved chicken bones. I had several successful hibernations-always solitary in seperate boxes, waiting to see if they emerge the next spring was awful, but only one died. Sadly they all suddenly disapeared and I haven't seen any signs of them for 28 months-but keep hoping.

You need to stand the hog houses on slabs or similar as rats can tunnel in from underneath.

Have fun!

Wow lovely story Min.Sad they have all gone though.We had them for many years but since we moved they can not access our garden.Still, we know they are around. 

• You lucky thing :) Great house. In my experience, solitary hibernating is the norm but they will certainly snuggle up together if there's a nice place and more than one hog.

Just one little note - best not to give them cheese as they find dairy hard to digest and it can cause diarrhoea.

Oh and don't forget to weigh any and all hedgies seen from now until the spring. They must weigh at least 450g to hibernate safely. Any weighing less need to be rescued and fattened up.

• Hi, wow 3 hogs, well done!! Grin well I am a hoggie newby, I have had a little one coming for a couple of weeks so decided to buy a little hut. I put straw inside and the next morning when I looked he had barricaded himself in, not sure if it’s he or she! I was so happy . I have been putting calciworms out and a hedgehog mix and fresh water, he loves his new home. 

I would definitely put the straw in, it is warm and cosy for them.
    Best wishes

Michelle