Hedgehog questions.

About six weeks ago I saw three Hedgehogs in the garden, since then I have put food out for them each evening.  My partner has made a house for them to hibernate in.  They have already been in it and had a look around.  My questions are:  Will they hibernate together?  (or do I need two more houses)  Where is the best place to position the house?  There is a very sheltered spot I have in mind but it would be on slabs, would it be better to place it on the earth amongst the shrubs?

I have been told not to put any bedding in the house as they prefer to make their own bed, is this correct?

• HI Cottagegardener

Well done you, I do love your new hedgehog box.

Here's a link I think that may help where's best to position it, hope it helps

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/the_basic_facts.htm

As to whether or not all three will hibernate together I doub it, as I believe hedgehogs are quite solitary outside of the mating season, if they are old enough then they were perhaps checking out the potential for their own ends and not as a group!

Wish you a happy hog soon in the house! :-)

• wow, three coming regularly.  we only ever got one, and not had any for a few years.   Like Kezmo I believed them to be solitary. 

Great house you have for them.  Hope at least one of them use it.  Will look forward to hear how you go.

Susan

• Fantastic.Love the house.Please let us know how things go.

• Hi there

I regularly get more than one visiting me at the same time. As for hibernation- a friend of mine once accidentally disturbed  seven snuggled down for the winter together in the bottom of a hedgerow (he covered over where he had been and left well alone of course) so I guess any thing goes. Nice to think they have friends though!

CJ

• cjbeady said:

Hi there

I regularly get more than one visiting me at the same time. As for hibernation- a friend of mine once accidentally disturbed  seven snuggled down for the winter together in the bottom of a hedgerow (he covered over where he had been and left well alone of course) so I guess any thing goes. Nice to think they have friends though!

CJ

That is soooooo nice.

• I am so glad to hear that there is a chance they may snuggle down together. I think they are a mother and two of her young.  All three turn up at the same time each evening and their favourite food is Banana and cheese which they always eat  first. They also drink quite a lot of water which I put down for them.  I have tried them with chicken flavoured cat and dog food but they won't eat it. I read that they can be fussy eaters. 

All three are very welcome visitors to my garden and I will keep you informed of their progress.

• Cottagegardener said:

About six weeks ago I saw three Hedgehogs in the garden, since then I have put food out for them each evening.  My partner has made a house for them to hibernate in.  They have already been in it and had a look around.  My questions are:  Will they hibernate together?  (or do I need two more houses)  Where is the best place to position the house?  There is a very sheltered spot I have in mind but it would be on slabs, would it be better to place it on the earth amongst the shrubs?

I have been told not to put any bedding in the house as they prefer to make their own bed, is this correct?

I asked the British Hedgehog Preservation Society via facebook last night if Hedgehogs hibernate together, this is their reply to me.. " Generally alone, not unheard of for them to share, but unusual."

Your Hedgehog house looks excellent, you need to place it  tucked under a hedge, in a shrubbery or near a wall in a quiet, sheltered place.  Ant place that wont flood after heavy rain.  Your hedgehog house needs to keep its feet dry.

Perhaps cover your Hedgehog House in leaves and turf to give it extra insulation.

Your Hedgehogs will appreciate you putting some bedding in for them, Straw, Leaves and Hay are all recommended.

Although your Hedgehog is quite likely to chuck it all out and either replace it with other stuff or just rearrange it to suit. 

As the winter approaches your Hedgehog will be on the lookout for extra bedding, with mine I find leaving a handful of hay near the house resulted in it being taken inside eventually by the Hedgehog.

This is the site of the British Hedgehog Preservation Society..  http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/

The Society also told me a good tip to see if a Hedgehog as been into your new home, place a large flower of big leaf - like a Hosta leaf in the entrance, and see if it gets pushed aside.

I got a book to help me help my hedgehogs more...  The New Hedgehog Book by Pat Morris.

According to my book, Hedgehogs are currently seeking out winter Hibernation nests and are starting to eat more to fatten up for winter....

I use specially prepared hedgehog food from a mail order company, which I don't know if I can mention here..

And I also bought a handmade from sustainable wood Hedgehog Box from another mail order company,  very reasonable price, which came very quickly, not sure i can mention that company here either... 

Here is the Box I bought, it is now bedded up, and covered up in the garden.

Good luck with your Hedgehogs CottageGardener, keep us posted.  x

• Hello Juno, Thank you for posting all that advice, I have tried looking for information on the internet, we got the plans for the house from there. I have some lovely cosy sheltered places in the garden to put the house and tomorrow I will be following your advice. For years I complained that I had never seen a hedgehog in the garden so now I am really thrilled.

• Hey Cottagegardener

Really pleased you got the answer you were looking for

Just sad I wasted my time answering you!

• Unknown said:

Hey Cottagegardener

Really pleased you got the answer you were looking for

Just sad I wasted my time answering you!

You didn't waste your time, you info is very useful.  As is all the info you give. And you are pleased that CottageGardener has Hedgehogs as am I, But i'm glad i'm only feeding 2, The amount CottageGardener is feeding would eat me out of House & Home.  Wow.