So who raises the baby curlews?

I was recently told that once young curlews hatch the female then leaves the male to do all the hard work.  I thought this applied to dotterels - do curlews also behave like this?  And, does any other wader?

Many thanks for any help!

• Understand exactly Clare,  I think we all need to have that special time to immerse ourselves in what the great outdoors and nature has to offer us;  to breathe in the peace and calmness it can bring, to be able to switch off from life's overload which can be so overwhelming at times.    You and Limpy have that special bond that Mike and I are also lucky to have and we wish you both the very best always.     

• He was diagnosed with PTSD last year so he absolutely has to get out.
  • Getting outdoors is a great healer for PTSD combined with the equal importance of having the strength and solid support of a good family & friends, wishing you both the best Clare. XX
  • Well you are "Bailey" and I am "Lynn L" Clare!? They could be worse and really stupid names!?

I am in the country, so have lots of scope to go out walking with lovely open spaces, on the open roads seeing the animals in the fields, there is a woodland walk a mile away, forest walks and the golf course over the road which is a links course, so you can have a lovely walk around it, up and down, from there can go onto the wide expanse over the beach and sea., which can take you to the little harbour and up over the headland, all within a few miles. It is lovely to be able to get out and about in the fresh air and see all the wonders that surround us. The RSPB bought Dunnet Head, only 20 miles away, a few years ago and it is a lovely spot to see many sea birds (I am sure you would love it there) including the Puffins. It is the same old story when it is on your own doorstep you don't visit! I have been a few times but always at the wrong time me to see them. It makes me really appreciate what is on my own doorstep, when there are so many not able to have that, for whatever reason. Getting out and about, seeing everything and just having the space and fresh air, does you the world of good.

It is lovely that you and Limpy are able to do that, seeing the lovely birds and surrounding areas, and in turn you are able to share that with us. It must be a joy for Limpy and I hope it helps him and gives him a boost every day. Take care and keep safe "Bailey" and Limpy from " Lynn L"! x
  • Catlady, what a lovely post! I'd give it fifty likes if I could.

I'm sure I'd love Dunnet Head. I've only ever visited it once - in early July 1999, with Limpy. The countryside in your part of the world really appeals to him - wild, unspoilt and with wildlife wandering about and popping up everywhere.
  • You are most welcome Clafe.

Edit, oops now you are Clafe! Was going to change it but though you would see the joke!!

• Now how would you pronounce that, please, with 2 syllables or one? As in caf or cafe--Claf or Clafe?--lol!
    The whole typo thing reminds me of a tale I told somewhere else on this forum a few years ago. When I was a child my parents bought some domesticated Mallard Ducklings. Of course, my sister and I named them ('How could we tell them apart?' I hear you ask...easy--a drop or 2 of safe food colouring dabbed onto their backs!) and eventually we were left with only one, the others being sold or given away to various friends and neighbours by my Mum. The remaining one had been named Fluffy--descriptive but hardly original, but then we were children. That one turned out to be a female and by the time she had grown up she was definitely no longer fluffy, but a large, heavy, lumbering, pampered adult Duck. My Mum and her family had a tradition of sending each other their news in letters--you removed your previous note, wrote a new one, put all of the other letters and your new one in a large envelope and posted it on to the next sibling or parent on the list. My Mum typed all of her letters, having been trained as a secretary, and in one letter she had typed Fluffy's name as Fluggy. She couldn't be bothered to retype the letter, but shrugged and sent it off. Well, that was a far better name for a large adult Mallard Duck than Fluffy and the Duck was called Fluggy from then on.
  • I had a friend years ago who had an aunt everybody called Coggy. On further enquiry it turned out that her real name was Connie - but my friend had been unable to get her tongue round the double N so she became Coggy. As strange as it sounds it suited her.
  • My turn to Hahahahah Anne!

Edit. OM goodness ANN, I did not even get the right!! 

Think today I am loosing the plot!