Huge amounts of sparrows

Hello all,

I'm new to the community forums here at the RSPB website, so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum :)

Just a couple of quick questions if anyone knows. Is there still a decline in the number of house sparrows in the UK?

Reason why I ask is that for the past 6 months I've seen loads of sparrows in my garden, and yesterday I counted approx. 30-35 on my grass and on the feeders I have. They look like a huge family of adults and babies, and they make a regular appearance everyday and throughout the day. I hadn't seen a house sparrow for years until about 6 months ago.

Is this unusual or is this to be expected nowadays?

Many thank in advance for your replies.

Take care,
Barry

• Welcome to the forum and yes it is the correct place to ask.

I'm not sure if numbers are still declining but I'm sure others in the know will comment shortly.

Please see the following links:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10695372

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2894563.stm

I've also seen an increase in the numbers but not as many as yourself.

Richard

• Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forum from me. I hope you enjoy it here.

There are several sparrow lovers on the forum - me especially, hence my name!!!! It's so lovely to hear you have so many of them. They are such delightful little birds, so happy and chirpy, and such good fun to watch.

Like Richard above, I don't know if their numbers are increasing, but they certainly are in my garden. I had a bumper crop of babies this year and now have about 40 of them on my feeders and in the conifer hedges. At one point I had so many babies in the garden being fed I couldn't count them!

I say I have about 40, I should say I had about 40. My special sparrows' corner in my garden is a bit quiet at the moment as they are sulking somewhere, having their moult, but they will be back very soon. An advance party arrived this morning.

Hoping to hear more from you ...

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• 40 or so here too.

Maybe numbers aren't really declining. Maybe the sparrows are just being more discerning about where they hang out. ;)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 14/08/2010 20:47 in reply to Maisie

Hi Barry and welcome to the RSPB Forum.  Enjoy yourself here

So pleased to hear that you have Sparrows living in your garden area after waiting so long for them to appear.

I have to say we have always had a healthy Sparrow population in all the areas we have lived.  We moved to Bedford in 2007 and have had a good number in our gardens in our last 3 rented properties.

The first property we had them living in a dense Privet Hedge, the second property a dense Flowering Bush and now we have the in our conifer bushes in our front garden area,  They just love to be in dense foliage, and that is what attracts them to your garden area.

Having a Sparrow friendly nesting facilities help too though I have to say I have not got around to buying the communal Sparrow boxes that are for sale by the RSPB.   

I am sure other people on here will tell you their Sparrow stories.  You will get to know what areas are, and are not Sparrow areas of the UK.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• They are very much alive and kicking here too. Reckoning on a similar amount - 30 - 40 at the last count. eating me out of house and home, never had it as busy at this time of year before.

Best wishes, Jo

• Hi Barry

I think the numbers need to go rise a lot further to recover the losses we are talking about. What you are seeing in your garden shows that everyone can help even in the smallest way.

Over the last 2/3 weeks during the moult have had a empty garden which shows how sad it would be if we ever lost these wonderful little birds. I'm please to say that in the last few days they have returned looking wonderful in their new feathers.

I would also like to say with that number, just keep doing what you doing - great job.

Robert

• House sparrows are still in decline across much of England but are fairing better in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland according to the latest Breeding Bird Survey figures. 

In the areas where they are doing well it is likely that they still have adequate nesting sites, dense cover for roosting and shelter as well as insect food through the spring and summer and seed food through autumn and winter. The areas where house sparrows are faltering are likely to be lacking in these essential features.

Have a look here for some information on how to keep your local house sparrows happy.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hello,im new here but am a bird lover
    i have around 30 species visit regular
    im in warrington at the end of a small peacefull cul de sac&have had around 100 sparrows come
    they have roosted in my big 8 foot hedge with metal mesh to block out cats and sparrowhawks
    i have many videos od my birds,even yesterday a big female sparrow hawk grabbed a blackbird and i saw&ran out&scared it off,the black bird survived but had a bald patch from plucking and must if only been 10 seconds before i disturbed the hawk
    the scream that small birds make when in a hawks talons is sickening
    m6 garden is full,coal tits,blue tits,robins,all wagtails breeds,100s of sparrows,hawks,buzzard,bloody magpies,loads of wood pigeons,
    starlings are a pain&greedy too
    a tip to get birds in your garden
    fatballs&suet pellets
    fatballs cant be the hard cheap ones you get 100 for a fiver
    home bargains supreme fat balls,40 for £6 but they will attract every species

atb

stew
  • its all down to cover&protection,i lost my beloved blue staffy to cancer a few month ago and an opportunistic cat has been having a visit!!
    it knows my dog isnt here to keep them away&the birds know &are a bit paranoid
    the location of feeders etc is the answer to why you have lots of sparrows
    they feel secure&like your food