Blue Tit nesting behaviour and dead babies

Hi Everyone, 

Im new here and to looking after birds, have always had feeders in the garden though and need some advice.

I got a nest box with a camera in it back in March and immediately had a Blue Tit move in.

7 eggs were laid and all hatched by the 5th May but on the 16th I was down top 3 babies left, all within a day roughly. I assume the bodies got buried or removed since they were still small and pretty much featherless.

The 3 remaining seemed to be doing alright but the last few nights, the mother has not stayed in the nest overnight. I have still seen 2 adults feeding though but maybe not as frequent, hard to tell that though. 

Then yesterday another died and a second this morning. They are almost fully feathered and whilst I think an adult might have tried to remove a body, it didn't seem able to.

Very sad that my first brood seems to have been a bit of a failure and keeping my fingers crossed for this last chick, who does seem a touch bigger than the others, but I have some questions. 

1. Is it normal for the mother to stop staying in the nest overnight when the chicks are larger? Space doesn't look like an issue.
  2. Should I help to remove the bodies? I know you are not meant top disturb nests whilst in use though but the 2 larger bodies are just sitting on top of the nesting material at the moment and assume it would be more hygienic.
  3. If not now, would it make sense to clean out once the last chick has hopefully fledged, rather than wait for autumn?

For reference, the box is on a north facing wall, just under the eaves but there is a flat roof below it. I've seen a cat on the roof once so may need top put a deterrent but as I've still seen 2 adults at the same time, I don't think this is due to loss of a parent.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

• The recent heat ( i think it was this) killed all 7 babies in the bluetit nest in my garden. Both were still feeding and even came back with insects although they were all dead. I didnt hear them on sat and was worried. Could it have been dehydration? I checked cam and squirrel and a magpie approached the nest but think this was because they could smell them
    I did remove them in hope they have another brood but hope i havent made a mistake..sorry you have lost some too.
  • I had meant to reply and say thanks.
    I do think it sounds like it was probably related to the extended heat and lack of food or something.

The last one was able to fledge fine and the parents were able to clear out the nest, so I will just wait for autumn to do the full clean.

Will keep my fingers crossed for next year.