Jackdaws nesting in February?

Can someone advise when Jackdaws nest please? From a quick search online it seems to be April but we have a void area under our roof (the end cap has come off) which they have been in/investigating today. We want to close it off (ideally this week) but obviously can't do this if they are already settled and breeding.  

We wondered if they were just investigating a possible site - will it be safe enough to put some ladders up to have a look? Thanks in advance.

• Hi Elbee, Jackdaws will start nesting from around mid March until August so they might not have started building their nest yet in which case you should be in time to close off the roof void, however, having said this, once a bird starts building a nest, ie., even the first twig or nesting materials they bring in, it would then be protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and you would not be able to do anything until September time without prior approval from your local wildlife officer. I would suggest just keep a keen eye open and if they are only going in and out investigating the area and not bringing in any twigs, then it should be ok to do the work. I think it will be fine to use ladders to have a quick look as there will certainly be no eggs laid yet. I am not an expert, although we did have a lot of corvids including Jackdaws in our previous garden, so maybe other forumates with more knowledge could give you some more accurate information.
  • Above reply looks like spam so I didn't click on the link and flagged it up so moderators can check it out.

Post edit:    thanks to moderators for removing the spam 

• I agree with Hazy about the timing but think the corvids tend to be the first to start nesting. It would be worth going up to see if there is any sign of nesting materials before they do get started.
  • Thank you Hazy and Gaynorsl. We went up to have a look and there are no nesting materials at all so it looks as though they were just checking it out. The gap is closed up now but fortunately there are woods near us so our wee jackdaws will have other options. Appreciate the advice. Elbee.
  • Local observations here in the West Midlands, we have magpies already nest building. I'm regularly watching magpies taking twigs and other suitable nesting material for renovating/building nests. And this behaviour is more or less standard here for the time of year.