Wren eating fat bars

For the last week a wren has been regularly coming to a fat bar hanging on a pole. I've never seen this before. Anyone else?

We live in suburban Sheffield. The bar is in a squirrel proof cage and the wren perches on the base to nibble the fat. It's not bothered by tits and robins coming to feed - just gets on with it.

• Interesting. No, I can't say I've ever seen a Wren eating from a fat feeder.

Nige   Flickr

• Hi Bob, I have only seen Wrens eating insects before; I've had all sorts of food in the feeders including sunflower hearts, suet and fat cake products over the years and even when the wrens were feeding young and more desperate in their hunt for food they would not touch anything other than live mealworms I had on offer or else they would find their own spiders; one took a dragonfly from the edge of the pond but never ate anything but insects and the like so interesting to hear as Nigel says.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Interesting Bob, I also have never seen this before. Maybe there is a shortage of food for them and the fat bar is tempting and tasty!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.