Bird singing all night, at this time of year. Why? And what might it be?

Last night a bird was singing in a tree across the road from my house, from about 2.30am to at least 7. It's done the same for the past several nights, except starting more towards 4 or 5am, and it was the same about this time last year.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be, or why the free night-time Christmas concerts? I live in Lancashire in the countryside. I would say the song was remarkably beautiful, like an extended improvised flute solo. It went on all night with very brief intermissions. Thanks if you can help.

• Hi Mick, it's quite possibly a Robin. Is there a street light in the vicinity?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

Yes, very close, and a bright light on a neighbour's burglar alarm. But they're there all year round and it only does the nocturnal serenades around Christmas. I theorized it was actually Christmas lights exciting it, would that be possible?
  • Male Robins tend to start singing louder (and from a higher perch) at this time of year, in order to attract a prospective mate for the upcoming breeding season. That might explain it. My local Robins (in a built up suburban area) have increased the volume of late.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)