Too many blackbirds?

I am obsessive about blackbirds and this year had 3 broods, which all seem to have stayed in and around my garden. I have continued to feed regularly, but they are now fighting quite a lot and aggresively chasing each other and other birds, some have hit the windows! I have about 12 blackbirds who hang around waiting and I am worried what will happen in spring if they are fighting now! Should I gradually reduce feeding or are they now reliant on me? I love seeing them all but the aggression is worrying me. Have I done the wrong thing feeding all the young as they have all stayed and not found their own areas? Any help would be appreciated.

• I wouldn't worry Sharom as it is usual for blackbird numbers to increase during autumn/winter months when migrant blackbirds from Scandinavia and other more northern areas migrate south for our "milder winters" combined with the abundance of natural food like berries. Numbers swell during the colder months and most of us see blackbird numbers increase greatly at this time of year and then in breeding season March/April. birds will return to their more northern breeding grounds leaving our usual resident blackbirds. Most birds show territorial behaviour which is natural so I would continue feeding through the colder months and just enjoy watching your garden birds.
  • Thank you for your reply Hazel. I read online that blackbirds can fight to the death and I was so concerned that if that happened because I feed them so much that they have all stayed, I would be mortified! Some of the birds are black with black beaks, would they be the migrant birds?
    Regards Sharon
  • SharomC-532715954 said:
    Some of the birds are black with black beaks, would they be the migrant birds?

It's a bit of a myth about blackbirds with black beaks are migrant birds;   I think, although I'm certainly not an expert,  that they are more likely first year birds that have black beaks.    

In nature some birds will fight as part of territorial behaviour, sometimes over food  (or maybe over a prospective mate during breeding season)  and serious injury or death can occur in rarer instances but most cases one will back down.  I wouldn't think it necessary to withdraw food especially over the colder months and when natural food is less available as, in my humble opinion, the benefit of feeding outweighs the chances of injury to a bird.       

• Thanks again Hazel, much appreciated.

Regards Sharon