New to feeding birds

Hi

Because I have 2 cats I’ve not really fed the birds much over the years as they didn’t tend to come to the food because of the cats. However I’ve just bought this metal pole feeder and put it out yesterday in the middle of the garden so cats are not able to get at it. I only saw a pigeon and magpie try to use it yesterday and a robin get on for the bacon fat in the mesh bowl  and a drink.

Came home at 2pm today to find mealworms from the left dispenser empty (was full). Bird mess all over bay window and big piles of what surely cannot be bird droppings under the stand (looks more like car, dog or Fox it’s that big lol). I obviously don’t want all the food to be taken by 1 or 2 large birds and would like the smaller birds to share. Does the pole look ok ? Did I put the mesh bowl too close to the mealworms so that a bird has just bashed them out as I cannot see how they could of all gone in half a day. Any advise appreciated. Thankyou 

Hi 

• Hi Alan

Thankyou so much for this. I didn’t realise the pole would include feeders so I bought my own lol and kind of doubled up. Yes the water is already quite dirty from food. Do you think the pigeon ate the whole tube of mealworms ? I have some black poppy seeds to put out too. What are sunflower hearts please ? Thankyou
  • Hello Cjj, welcome from up into very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. That looks like the feeding station I have. I also have taken away the little water dish and mesh feeding tray as I found the birds were pooing in them when at the feeders. I feed nuts, bird seed, sunflower hearts, Niger seed (many do not as their birds never take them) and fat balls. We have all the usual garden birds, they all have their favourite feeder. Sparrow, starling, Robin, blackbird, all the finches, blue and great tit, collard doves and at present a pheasant family (we are in the country) mum, dad a three babies who are gobbling the food. I feed them simple mixed grain, it is very cheap, so I don't mind. Your feeder looks in the right place and I can see that the birds have the foilage to fly back and forth to, to hide and take their food, to eat. The starlings (if you have them) will almost certainly empty everything, I call them the school bullies!! We have a wee tabby cat, have always had cats and to be honest they would watch in interest, as is their natural instinct, but have very rarely taken any birds. They were great mousers and rabbit catchers!

Something that we on here feed the birds, is home made pastry. Mix shops own brand flour and half the quantity of fat/lard, add seed, grated cheese and or suet, pieces of dried fruit, chopped nuts and a small amount of water to mix to a pastry. Keep in the fridge for a few hours and you can either shape to fit the feeders or pull of pieces and squeeze around the tree or shrub branches, or your feeding frame. Be warned they love it so you will have to keep making it!!
    Good luck.

Looks like you need to get the mop and bucket out for the Windows! Some big poo marks there, it is amazing what a mess they can make!

PS Regards the feeders you could try hanging some on hook in amongst the trees and bushes at the back of the feeder, that way they will be spread out and maybe the wee ones will have a chance of feeding. 

• Thankyou Catlady for your very helpful answer. I’m going to try making that then :)
    I feel much more knowledgable thanks to you and Alan :)
  • The culprits were starlings. They just visited again. Over 20 of them using feeders or underneath hoovering up. Sky was full of them too hehe
  • Hi Dave

I took a video today of the starlings too :). I never thought of pastry before this but you have all given me great ideas Thankyou all :)
  • Thankyou so much everyone I’m loving the pastry ideas.

I too took a video Dave couldn’t believe how the sky was filled with them, they must take turns. And it feels like it’s a pit stop unlike the robin who hangs around they are gone within 5 mins :)
  • Cjj, just to let you know, if you don't already, you can type anything into the white search bar and select everywhere and posts with that subject will come up.
    If you type Hazel pastry (she is a regular on here) you will find lovely photos and commentary about her pastry making. Other forum members are also available!
  • Thanks Catlady that’s great . I’m just getting to grips with the forum :)