Have I just seen my first ever Black Redstart

Hi I’ve just seen my first ever Black Redstart is there anything else that is similar and I’ve identified it wrong

• It is possible (assuming you are in UK) if you are in the right parts of the country. However, it would probably narrow the chances/my guess down a bit if you said where geographically and physically it was and what it was doing. E.g. If it was on your garden bird table in August then, no.
  • In reply to Robbo:

I live in Biggleswade. I was walking the dog when I saw it in an massive area many acres of over grown meadow of wild flowers with scattered trees. I saw it this morning so I went back with the binoculars it was a black color with a white bar on its wings
  • Hi, not the typical habitat for a Black Redstart but birds don't read the guide books so always a possibility. LOL

The males are are easily identifiable because there's nothing else quite like them. Your description sounded pretty good. See below.

If the bird had a red rump or undertail then it will be a redstart. The main confusion will be will be be between a female Common Redstart or a female Black Redstart. Both are are rather mousy brown so can be confused.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Morning Jim,
    Did you notice, having seen the bird twice, anything about its behaviour? Did it, for example, bob obviously when perched?

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Morning Jim,
    Did you notice, having seen the bird twice, anything about its behaviour? Did it, for example, bob obviously when perched?

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Got to admit that I am sceptical. Sounds also from what you have written that you saw it in flight?

• Evening Jim,
    Or a shivering tail/rear end?

Best regards -
    Dave