Moth traps.

Hi All.I am thinking of buying an electric moth trap for my garden,could anyone suggest a make/type that would be good for a novice moth enthusiast. A waterproof one would be best I think,

Thanks All

J.

• Hi Jayne
    I'm sure our Moth experts Hazel and Wendy will be along to help you, they've made their own.
    Our Moth thread is here community.rspb.org.uk/.../mostly-moths-2019

My Flickr photos

• Hi Jayne, I've been moth trapping since 2014 & this is my first trap described here  on page 3 , or you can start from the beinning, with the ropes soaked in wine/sugar mix. If it looks like rain I put it under a garden plastic table.

I still use the tube now, or you can buy a UV energy saving bulb & hang it in the Ikea laundry basket. Total cost around £25.

If you get really hooked you can buy much more expensive but mine works great & am over 600 species for the garden. Here is an example of the trap running on a old car battery with a 12V UV lamp put in some woods

Plenty to keep me occupied on there.

If you are interested you can ask further questions on the moth thread that Alan has highlighted & Wendy or I will be happy to help, always good to share our passion!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• This link takes you to a page where i describe my 3 different options of traps community.rspb.org.uk/.../1147612

Best wishes

• Hi Jayne, welcome to the world of mothing ... I have a wooden box whuch completely comes to pieces for transporting, cleaning, painting ( mine is white) modified to take two 20w UV screw-in bulbs whuch run off the electric via extension cable ... when I remember where I bought it I will send a link, it cost around £60 + £20 for bulbs (only broken one in two years!)
    Hazel's (a.k.a. H) setup is good though & is how I started off but have since come across this idea ... ladywalknature.wordpress.com/.../
    which I intend to try as the wooden box is rather heavy for me to transport to mothing sessions at my local nature reserve ( arthritis in fingers now)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• One of our group uses a plasic clothes drier with a ghastly yellowish net curtain he get from a reject shop drapped over it, works great. Another one uses an mosquito net & frame from Decathlon which goes up easily too. Amazing how many different variation on a theme there are. I've been looking at small portable batteries with LED lights, bu they are still a bit pricey.

Best wishes

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Hi Wendy,thanks for replying and for the info,the article was interesting.
    I think I might start with a torch and a white sheet and see how I go and progress to a more permanent trap if the moths come.I have an urban garden and do see moths but not sure of numbers and species so it will be interesting to see.
    Do you use your trap every night?.
    Regards Jayne.
  • Sad to say that I haven't got started yet this year Jayne for various reasons & not been doing regular ones at local nature reserve as I have done for past couple of years either but all building repairs distruption nearly over leaving me free to get mothing ... never too late!!
    I do think UV light is more successful in attracting moths ... one other thing I have is a vehicle inspection light with bayonet fitting UV lamp (aka wander light from Screwfix)) which comes with a length of electric cable which I can plug into shed socket or use extension cable (which I pop inside a plastic carrier bag in case of rain) I put up a white sheet as backdrop pegged to extending curtain line across open shed doorway & clip the wander light to it ... simple & inexpensive!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

I have used my clothes airer with white sheet draped over plus wander light very successfully in the beginning H!  Like the idea of using mozzie netting though, could suspend it from shed doorway & drape it around my box with just a smallish opening & the lights would shine through well!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Jayne Bigiln:

Jayne Bigiln said:

Do you use your trap every night?.
    Regards Jayne.

It's best not to trap every night as it gives the moths time to go off & do whatever they do (eat, reproduce etc), so I limit to no more than every other night.

I agree with Wendy that a simple lead light with UV bulb & white sheet works well. The person I trapped with last night had his bulb mounted on a camera tripod facing upwards, with a white sheet on the ground & netting on a frame around it. The main thing is to buy a bulb & get started. If you start with just a torch & no UV you may be disappointed.

The advantage of the Ikea trap is that you put it up, go to bed, get up just before dawn & have an hour or so fun taking all the photos & seeing what you have, there are a lot of moths that don't turn up until the small hours.

Best wishes

• Agree H, always leave mine on overnight ... check at 23.00 - midnight usually to compare with what is in trap early morning, often surprises! Really must get set up again even though moon is filling!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr