What Happened to My Housemartin Nests?

Something seems to have attacked my 2 housemartin nests in the night - they have been nesting here for a few years now, started with 1 nest and then made another, it was lovely having them and every year they have produced broods. But this year I recently found one nest in pieces on the ground, previously to this a baby martin dead on the ground some way away from the nest which I couldn't understand. Last night I heard some odd noises which sounded like they were outside but on a high level. This morning I found pieces of the second nest on the ground, and saw a big hole in the side of the nest. It looks like something has attacked the nests, they wouldn't just fall into pieces like this :( could it be an owl? The reason I ask is that last week my son noticed a large owl perched on the ridge of our conservatory roof, something I'd never seen before, and I wondered if the owl might have done it?  But wouldn't it have eaten the baby rather than drop it?  So upsetting and I am so sad for the martings and I can't get up there to protect them, so I wonder if they are gone for good now :(

• I used to like having the 'cheeky' sparrows visit, they didn't pose a problem up until more recently, when their population seemed to grow rapidly, and then they started nesting in my neighbour's house, attacking the martin nests plus raiding the feeders all the time. They were also making a right old mess all over the trellis/planters and decking and furniture next to where the feeders were situated - they would land on the table and chairs, and leave their droppings everywhere and there were lots of them so you can imagine the mess! They were obviously getting a bit too big for their boots! So I hope that preventing them from doing that will help to redress the balance, and give the other small birds a chance :)