Nesting jackdaw causing blue bottle infestation

I noticed jackdaws nesting in my chimney last week however this a new house I’ve bought and the fireplace was removed by the old owners but sadly they didn’t put anything on the chimney like a cap!! there is now just a vent on the wall where the fire place was. Now within 10 days I’m coming home to about 10 blue bottles after work, I am disgusted and stuck on what to do. The birds are still going to the chimney on my roof, there was 2 tonight walking about squeaking and looking down. I’m concerned at the amount of blue bottles there is, I don’t know if a bird is dead down there amongst live ones. Can anyone please advise me what to do? I’ve blocked my vent up with tin foil and I’ve taped around my skirting board and floor boards in the surrounding area :-(

• Hi, I’m not an expert on this but will try and help. If they are nesting you wont be able to remove or disturb the nest as it’s an offence under the UK Wildlife laws. I would suggest getting someone on your roof to take a look at the current situation. If there is a dead bird they can remove it then block up the top of the chimney, if it’s an active nest you may have to wait. Most baby birds are usually out and about now and don’t tend to return to the nest once fully fledged. If there is dead amongst the live they parents usually remove it from the nest.

Best bet is to get in someone who knows what they are doing, possibly a roofer or pest control? Flies only hang around something decaying or poop (maybe a lot up there from the nesting birds?) i think you have done the right thing of blocking up the vent to prevent anymore.

To tackle the current flies, some fly catching plants may help? Mine has caught a few in the hot weather.

Hope you manage to solve the problem soon!
  • Thank you! Got home yesterday morning to 7 dead flies and 2 live ones, that’s after leaving the flat empty for just over 12 hours! Today we’ve only had 3, but as of last night the bird was going crazy so I’m wondering if it’s preparing to leave shortly - sounds like it’s trying to climb up. Hope the problems over soon!!