House martin babies

Just come home to find all 5 House Martin babies dead on the path.   Both parents were around this morning.   Is this cold, wet weather to blame?   I'm devestated,  not had this happen in the 10 years they have nested with us 

• Just so sad to lose all 5 in just a few hours. There was also a broken, unfertilized egg on the path. Wondering if survival of the fittest came into play
  • Just photographed the nest, it is undamaged. The only difference this year is the appearance of Gold Finches which usually stay further up the estate.
  • Well, I had hoped that I would have happier news to pass on.  The HM families laid more eggs and I thought one had relocated to the other side of the house, as a new nest was built.   In the old nests, one adult stayed in the nest all the time guarding a new clutch of eggs.  There was lots of activity, noise and droppings so I was feeling really upbeat.  However, going to answer the door today (the children next door wanted to show me 2 fledgling HM babies they rescued yesterday) I discovered the nests had fallen down.  2 more featherless babies have perished but there was a wet, stunned bird by the fence, that I thought was an adult.

Anyway, long story short, I took all 3 birds to a bird man and he will nurse them all and release when they are able to survive.  The adult is infact a fledgling, so must  have been the sole survivor from the first clutch of eggs.

I hope the new nest on the other side of the house has better luck. 

Thank you to all who replied 

Emma