Robin nest in garden waste bag :(

I put a half full garden waste bag to the side of my driveway a few weeks ago, and a robin has made its nest there and is sitting on aroudn 6 eggs. the flap of the bag means the nest is completely covered, but when the eggs hatch, there will be lots of chirping which I fear will attract the local cat.

Can't bear it if the cat were to get them. 

Any thoughts?

Also would the robins appreciate it if I dropped the odd worm into the bag? (Obviously without touching the bag or lifting the lid. The robins seem pretty unperturbed by us being around the bag, as I say we walk and drive by it all the time).

• Hi CRJ, I would make a frame that would go round the bag, made out of plastic netting something that would let the Robin go through but not a cat, it would be hard to explain so if a made something up tomorrow and take a picture this would help you.

Jim

My Pictures

• I would put any food on the ground near the bag don't risk it just put it on the ground were they can see it.

Jim

My Pictures

• Lovely to have a nesting Robin, they do indeed find the most suitable (to them) unsuitable (to us) nesting sites! I would agree with James and erect some sort of framework around the bag, construct it and quickly stick it in the ground. As far as feeding you could throw some worms near to the nest but it is not necessary, as the parents will find food for the babies naturally. They have been used to you going about hence building where they have, so don't interfere with the bag and enjoy the young.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.