Blackbird nest?

Hi there, I'm new to the site. A very industrious bird has built a nest in my cycle shelter about 6 feet off the ground. She is on the nest and seems more than happy the attention. My question is, should I be taking any precautions for when the eggs hatch? I don't get cats in the garden so that's all good, and they will be well hidden on the floor of the cycle shelter amongst bikes!! 

Thanks in advance

• Welcome Steve & thanks for sharing lovely pics & info on your BB nest ... do you have a garden with any shrubs that the fledglings can take shelter under whilst waiting for parents (usually Dad) to bring food until they develop enough wing power? But they will no doubt be just as happy in the bike shed ... please update us on the progress of this nest! Good news about no cats!

I can't advise on any 'precautions' ... others more knowledgeable may be able to!

• Hello Steve, thanks for sharing your photos and story with us. She seems to be very happy in your cycle shed. The young will fledge and hop about in your garden, and as has been said will be fed until they are strong enough to fly. Having no cats around is good, as they would be easy targets. If you have bushes, shrubs, cover really, they will hide in there. As for any precautions, I don't think there are any. I take it the shelter is an open place, so no need to make sure that any doors or windows (how they would have got in) needs to be kept open. Mum and dad will find food for the babies, you could put out some tasty bits, but not necessary. Good luck.