Birds nesting in shed due for demolition

Hi Everyone

New to this but I need some expert advice. we have a large (8m x 4m) shed in the bottom of our garden which we were about to demolish to build a new one, it is very run down. My wife noticed birds flying in and out holes in some of the woodwork, neither of us are experts but the best description I have is:

1) The first birds are small and brown, no other colours.

2) The second are same size, small but black and white.

It would seem that both types are nesting, if we walk around in the shed the tweeting gets various furious, or they can be spotted on a nearby fence eyeing us up. We do not in any way want to harm any birds, so I have two questions. What should we do, and when? I was hoping to start demolition and a new base in April but I don’t think this will be possible now...

thank you!

• Hi Alan,

Thank you for the prompt reply!

As I pointed out we do not want to harm any birds.... anyway I am dusting off my DLSR and lens now. My wife says she has not seen the little brown ones for a week, but I will see what I can photograph, watch this space - but please bear in mind I am no professional!

Alex.
  • Hi Alan,

After several hours of staring at the shed it would seem only one type of bird is flying in and out of one hole on the front edge. A bluetit unless I am mistaken - it appears to be bringing food or someone else to the entrance. Couple of poor photos (taken though glass) links below:

www.dropbox.com/.../IMG_9290.JPG
    www.dropbox.com/.../IMG_9290.JPG

Thanks,

Alex.
  • Hi Dave & Allen,

Thank you both for your excellent advice. I have agreed with the wife to bump the project down the list until we are sure they have left the nest and wont we disturb anything in the garden until then. We had already agreed bird boxes should go the new shed, so they can return (hopefully) next year.

This will also please the builder who pointed out waiting till warmer weather to lay a base which could take 5 weeks to harden is always a good idea.

If I get time to snap any more photographs I will post them (assuming I get time around 2 small children).

Thanks again!

Alex.