What can I do quickly for birds kicked out of home in mid-winter??

Today, my neighbor cut down all their really tall, dense bamboo that a TON of songs birds were living in. It’s the middle of winter with the worst yet to come and there’s not too many trees around  (medium-highl populated suburb). I feel SO sad for those poor birds. Is there anything I can do to help them immediately? Its supposed to sleet/snow again this week. I already have 2 bird houses in my backyard. Should I put out nesting material? Should I hang a tarp for cover? Will they all have already dispersed from my area by tomorrow? I have no idea and know nothing about nesting. I’m desperate for any suggestions please! Thank you!

Parents
  • I agree with what's been said by others. I am guessing you're in USA? I can only comment on UK. Depending on which type of bamboo is involved, it can be invasive. As with most large plants, pruning is best done at this time of year. Partly for horticultural reasons, and partly because that's when birds are not nesting. Plants in Winter are purely used for cover/shelter and/or feeding. Bamboo in UK is of little wildlife value, mainly because it's non-native. The only issue with it being removed/reduced is loss of cover/shelter. Most bird species are mobile and happy to just find alternatives.

• I agree with what's been said by others. I am guessing you're in USA? I can only comment on UK. Depending on which type of bamboo is involved, it can be invasive. As with most large plants, pruning is best done at this time of year. Partly for horticultural reasons, and partly because that's when birds are not nesting. Plants in Winter are purely used for cover/shelter and/or feeding. Bamboo in UK is of little wildlife value, mainly because it's non-native. The only issue with it being removed/reduced is loss of cover/shelter. Most bird species are mobile and happy to just find alternatives.

Children
No Data