Question About Introducing Fish to a Wildlife Pond

Hello all. I'm new and have a question. Over a year ago we made a wildlife pond, fairly big at about 12m X 7m. The location is rural and the primary reason for making it was to improve the habitat for birds. We've had many species come to the pond including Grey Wagtail and Grey Heron. We took the decision not to introduce fish as we wanted to encourage amphibians (who have yet to come). Last week we were surprised and delighted to see a Kingfisher perched in the bushes beside the pond! Of course we want her to come back but as there are no fish, she's unlikely to stay long. So I am now thinking of introducing some sticklebacks or maybe rudd. Opinions please.

• Hello Mistle Thrush & welcome from not so sunny Suffolk. We have a pond, no as big as yours and currently there are no fish in it, we have lots of newts, dragon fly/damsel fly larvae and other insects like water boat men. When our kids were young we did relent and let them put sticklebacks in and they ate all the newt spawn and larvae so its a question of one or the other, From our experience I would say fish are not compatible with just wildlife, with your size pond though you might have the size to make it sustainable for both. We've also had Kingfisher stop by in the past and only 10 days a heron landed on the lawn but now we don't have any fish. Just newts and insects but the pond does bring in many, many birds. Good luck with your decision.

• Thank you both for your replies. I’m undecided. I followed the current advice of not introducing amphibian spawn last spring. Apparently there is an amphibian disease which is spread from pond to pond by moving spawn. I thought I would let nature take it’s course for a few years to allow colonisation by amphibians. We’ve sen the odd toad but they didn’t breed this year and I suspect a Grey Heron ate them. I was taken aback by seeing the Kingfisher and now really don’t know what is best. I would love to have her as a regular visitor.