Finch boxes, Robin boxes

I noticed a Greenfinch carrying dry oak leaves in through a finch-holed nesting box this morning. The box is about nine feet off the ground, framed by ivy on the wall. A Coal Tit was also exploring a Robin entranced nesting box about the same height and about three feet away from the other one. I was thinking of placing the finch-holed entrance on the Robin box if Coal Tits may be interested instead and I also thought maybe if a Robin moved in too near to the Greenfinch there might be territorial problems. I can move the Robin box further away as I have another box to put up which can have an open front, which is preferred by robins. But would a Coal Tit prefer a box so high up? I thought they preferred to be lower to the ground but we have cats in the neighbourhood so I placed the boxes high up.
  • Hi Kirpi, sorry no one has replied. I am unsure regards to the coal tit and their nesting habits. The birds are using the boxes to roost just now, it's good they have shelter as it is pretty cold, wet, windy and snowy at the moment. Hope someone gets back to you with some advice. This will bump your post to the top.