injured jackdaw help!!!!

ive got an injured jackdaw in my garden, attacked by my neighbours nasty cat, what shall i do???   his wing seems badly damaged and he cannot fly. help please!!!  thanks

• Hiya Kerys,

As cat bites and scratches very often cause serious infection in birds, the Jackdaw could well die without treatment with antibiotics, and of course is very vulnerable to further attacks as it can't fly at the moment. So I would say that the best thing you can do is get it to your nearest wildlife rehab place. Not sure where you are but there's a list here: http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/wildcents.html

They may be able to collect it. If you need to bring it in the safest way (for you and the Jackdaw!) to catch it  would be to throw a good-sized towel over it. A darkened cardboard box or a pet carrier would be OK for transportation. Good luck :)

• thanks for the quick reply i have contacted a centre, and they will be coming out to get him soon. x

• Being handled and treated is a very stressful experience to an injured bird, and before catching is attempted, the benefits of treatment must be weighed against this. For instance, most leg injuries may be best left, while a wing injury is serious enough to merit capture and treatment. Good to hear you already have people on the way.

It is usually difficult to catch an injured bird and careless handling may cause further injury. Handling must be firm but gentle. Small birds up to blackbird size can be held in one hand. Place your hand over the bird’s back so that its head fits between your forefinger and middle finger. The rest of the fingers will naturally wrap round each wing holding the bird firmly but gently. Medium sized birds are best held with two hands, one over each wing. Handling large birds requires great care because of risk of injury to the handler. Unless you are used to handling large birds, it is best to call an expert rescuer to the bird.

Once the bird is caught, examine it quickly and place it in a well-ventilated covered box to wait for treatment. Darkness reduces stress and shock, and is likely to be the best first aid you can give the bird.

Just for reference an injured bird should always be passed onto a local vet, RSPCA in England and Wales (tel 0300 1234 999), SSPCA in Scotland (tel 03000 999 999), USPCA in Northern Ireland (tel 077 3994 8520 or an independent rescue centre, so it can receive appropriate treatment without undue delay. Another useful contact is St Tiggywinkles (The Wildlife Hospitals Trust) on tel: 01844-292-292 www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk  ‘Catted’ birds should almost always be taken to a vet as a matter of urgency because of the high risk of septicaemia. Do remember that the RSPB is a wild bird conservation charity, and as such does not have the facilities or expertise for treating sick, injured or orphaned birds.

• Oh good :) Hope they can help him.

• as i was unable to take mr jackdaw to the vet i had to wait for the rspca to come to, although i didnt expect to wait 7 hours for them to arrive!!!! i know they have alot of call outs but 7 hours is a very long time to wait. x

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 05/06/2010 21:48 in reply to kerys

Hi Kerys

Welcome to the RSPB Forum, and enjoy yourself here

I am glad that the Jackdaw is in the capable hands of the RSPCA people - the wait must have been stressful for yourself and the bird in question.  Hope that he makes a full recovery.

I remember finding a Magpie sitting on the ground on a pathway which ran parallel to a golf course.  I went home and brought back an old shoe box, and I placed the Magpie in the shoe box, and left his tail sticking out of the box (the tail is very long)

The Magpie was aware of me, although it looked stunned.  His head was swivelling around and around so it looked although as he had been knocked in the head area.  I placed him in a cardboard box with some water and left him alone in my spare room.

Anyway I rang the SSPCA in Scotland (I am from Edinburgh, and lived there most of my life), and they turned up in one of their fleet vans.

The officer said to me it looked although the Magpie had been hit in the head with a golf ball of all things LOL due to fact it was found on the path next to the golf course, and that is why the Magpie looked so dazed.

Anyway Mr Magpie was taken to their offices and recovered after a few days in the medical centre.  Poor soul.  Just thought I would mention this story to anyone who sees an injured bird as Kerys has.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• I’ve had a jackdaw with an injured wing in my garden since March. My local rescue centre couldn’t spare anyone to catch him and I’ve tried but he’s so quick. He is however getting more confident around me gradually. He’s feeding and drinking well and seems perfectly happy. He has shelter from predators