Duck nesting in my garden

Hi,

I have a Mallard nesting at the edge of my lawn under a small shrub. I disturbed her yesterday when mowing (before I knew she was there). She left the nest and stood in front of the mower and has since returned to the nest.

Before she returned I took a photograph of the nest.

Last night I noticed that the nest was empty and the eggs had gone.

However, this morning, the Mallard is back on the nest and sitting tight.

I am worried because cats visit our garden and the Magpies have found the nest and keep peeking in.

Some questions:

• Could the Mallard have moved her eggs last night and moved them back?
  • What will happen when the chicks hatch - our garden has no water and is fenced in - there is no way they can walk to water.
  • I understand that the chicks, once hatched, take 50 days to mature enough to fly away?
  • Should I call the RSPB or the RSPCA to see if someone could move the whole lot to a safer and more appropriate location?

Any help welcome.

I have posted about it on our village forum.

David

• Almost certain the Magpies have taken the eggs.

• Thanks Sooty.  If that is so...

• Why is there no evidence of broken egg shells - or would they have removed them whole?
    • Why is she sitting back in the same place if there are no eggs?

All very mysterious.

David

• A poster on my village forum has suggested that the eggs may still be there and that the Mallard may have covered them up with feathers, moss and grass.

On closer inspection of the two images above, the one with the eggs shows soil beneath, however there is no soil visible in the picture without the eggs.

So, could the Mallard have created a feather/moss duvet for her eggs?

And, if they are still there and being incubated. How will the chicks survive in our garden?

David

• `I'm hoping the eggs are okay. 

David said:
    And, if they are still there and being incubated. How will the chicks survive in our garden?

Well, I know of a pair of mallards that nested outside our security hut at work, rather than the lake on the far side of the large site.  When the chicks hatched she would take her brood down through the site to the lake in the morning and bring them back at night.  I think that's very clever as the security hut was maned 24 hours so presumable kept the predators away.

I'm expecting the same in your garden, although once they're hatched maybe you won't see them again.

• Thanks for that.

I hope so, however, she'll do well to get out of our garden and to the nearest pond with her chicks. Having said that, the cats and foxes can get in, so I guess there are ways out, too.  If she does lead them out it will be through at least one more garden, across a road, through another garden across about 1km of woodland and down to the lake.

David

• David said:

Thanks Sooty.  If that is so...

• Why is there no evidence of broken egg shells - or would they have removed them whole?
    • Why is she sitting back in the same place if there are no eggs?

All very mysterious.

David

Well would like to be optimistic but very surprised if Magpie looked in that it left anything as they are good or bad however you see it at finding any food. Sounds like a big problem if she still has eggs.

• The duck left the nest 30 mins ago. I was able to take another picture and the eggs are there, just covered with feathers, down and moss. So perhaps she has just created a natural duvet?

• She seems to know what she's doing.   I think you may have been adopted, or at least your garden has.