Woodpecker destroying blue tit box

I have a pair of nexting blue tits in my garden, all was well until yeserday when a woodpecker decided to enlarge the hole on the front of the box.  The young were still alive after 2 attacks yesterday, but this morning there was another attack and I can not hear them any more. 

There is some feathers and nesting material on the floor so presume all is not good.  The parents are still trying to feed but keep coming away still with the food.

How long should I leave the box alone for?  If I replace with a new box in the next week is it too late for a second  chance of nesting this year?

• Thank you for your suggestion. Just bought a sheet of aluminium and I plan to cut it to size and cover the front and sides of the 12 bird boxes that we have at our summer house.
  • Hi Raj55,      wire mesh would be better as aluminium sheeting would not enable the adult birds to secure a grip on the box (unless you leave the front only with metal hole plate) as they feed young nestlings;   I'm also inclined to think that in hot weather the box could get too hot with solid metal sheeting whereas wire mesh allows air to pass through.      Try to use quarter inch (6.35mm) wire mesh.   Hope this info helps.     You can staple the wire mesh to wooden boxes.    Other than that you can buy woodstone boxes which do not need any additional protection measures  HERE     Birds can also cling to the stonecrete.

• Hazy is correct about birds finding it hard to grip of sheet covered nest boxes but if you use wire mesh make sure it is streached tight so the birds cannot trap their feet in the mesh.