Bald Blackbird

Can anyone tell me what the problem is with this odd looking Blackbird?

It was moving and and feeding ok  it just looked a bit strange

Pssst! Nudge nudge Wanna see some pictures Here

• I had a robin last year just like that Janner, it also fed and flew OK and after quite a while it was starting to grow feathers again. Hopefully it fully recovered but of course I can't be sure. I think it is a mite of some sort that attacks them, perhaps someone else will post more info for you.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this either on another post in the forums or read it somewhere. I think it's something to do with moulting. Either that it is currently moulting or that it needs to start moulting soon! I'll see if I can find where I read about this...

Gus

Blog Flickr and I have a youtube channel but not updated much.

• In reply to Gus R:

No, I can't find it. It was something about how moulting can negatively affect a bird and then it said the only negative thing about moulting for this Robin is its looks, and had a picture of a Robin with the same balding problem as your Blackbird. I found this on the RSPB website thoug: "The gradual replacement of feathers in young birds can lead to some strange looking individuals: blackbirds which look sleek and dark, except for a spotty brown head (the last feathers to moult), or starlings which have gained a white-spotted winter plumage on their bodies but still have the pale brown head of a youngster." Hope some of this helped. I'm not really expert enough to give a confident answer so maybe wait until someone more sure gives an answer!

Gus

Blog Flickr and I have a youtube channel but not updated much.

• In reply to Gus R:

Thank you for your replies they are most interesting I will do a bit more research on the subject. Regards

• In reply to Janner:

It could be suffering from mites.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I had this young jackdaw today. Hope it's ok?

• In reply to flipper:

I have still not come up with a definitive answer as to what is the problem, It is interesting to see your photo's of the jackdaw after not ever seeing this before now seeing a second bird with the same problem in less than a week.

• In reply to Janner:

In 3 years of feeding the birds,it's the first time I've seen anything like this.

P.s. You have this question as answered. Maybe you might get some more posts,if you reverse this

• In reply to flipper:

I would agree with Seaman that it is mites. Here's a GT from this morning. The feathers will grow back.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I was once told it is because they are out of condition after the breeding season. Seems feasible.