Dogs off leads

Can more be done persuade visitors to keep their dogs on leads when visiting reserves?

• If dogs are well behaved and on leads with owners who clear up after them, then I don’t see a problem. Let’s not discriminate .

Unruly dogs chasing around, I agree are not a good mix on a reserve.
  • You've got be very careful in what you say as anyone classified as permanently disabled are allowed into any bird hide’s, reserves and to have equal rights the same as any able bodied person and i didn't want to say this. But if anyone says otherwise in any form, i would say that is clear discrimination and in law that could mean been many things.. But i would advise anyone to be careful as it is even illegal to suggest anyone such as with registered guide dogs to stop anyone having the same oportunities in law. Including saying such things in writing anywhere that can be seen publicly. I didn't want to post this. But i feel i had to! Sorry if that sounds harsh! Even if you don’t agree with that. That is how the law stands and I do 100% agree with that. There is already lots of discrimination already. And to suggest anyone including those with Registered Guide Dogs I’m any form and any way even publicly suggesting that and even in a mild form is illegal and discriminatory!

• We all think everyone should have access to nature reserves. And we don’t have a problem with dogs on leads. While most people keep there dogs on leads on public footpaths on nature reserves not everyone does. its just the dogs owners that let there Dog just run wild off the lead  and disturb ground nesting birds on public footpaths at nature reserves. Rather than keep them under control. Just to reassure you also. No one has discriminated on the forum. if a conversation ever started to discriminate about guide dogs or access for people and dogs on nature reserves me and Thomo would bring them up on it and say something but since everyone on the forum thinks everyone should have access to nature reserves. its not likely to happen. I think you might of just mis understood or mis read the post. But that’s ok cause everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

The person who made the post asked could more be done to persuade visitors to keep there dogs on leads when visiting reserves
    And later she said The RSPB reserve I visited allowed dogs in but only on leads, so this must have a public footpath running though it and absolutely must allow access to all.. Everyone one should be able to enjoy reserves, but with a greater understanding of WHY a dog off a lead could cause a problem. For many people a dog is a companion and essential and many are responsible but maybe as mentioned volunteers could help at reserves where dogs have access to explain and educate the owners who keep leads off. This hopefully means a welcome to as many people as possible and protection for our wildlife. - page 2.

I thought it’s a good idea to think about And it might work. What do you think?

• Thats interesting Why in the world did some people let there dogs stick there heads out the window and walk around loose in the front and then cause acidents while driving? Most people use things like seatbelts to prevent acidents.
  • Zo Clark said:
    Nice photo. Also your dogs look very friendly

Thank you Zo.

They both came from very different backgrounds.

The brown one was a failed sheepdog, failed because she didn't like bangs or sudden noise, other than that, she was perfect, and I managed to help her overcome the sudden noise and bangs issue, titbits made easy work of that.

The black one, came from a rescue centre, horrendously ill treated and very nervous of strangers, and again, titbits and the right treatment made that a lot easier to handle.

But I always worked on the hidden surprise element, the one you can never account for, so the leads were always on and anchored when I wasn't holding them.

• Zo Clark said:
    Thats interesting Why in the world did some people let there dogs stick there heads out the window and walk around loose in the front and then cause acidents while driving? Most people use things like seatbelts to prevent acidents.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the post you replied to with this, so its difficult to place a proper response.

As for those who allow dogs to stick their heads out of the window of a moving vehicle (or stationary for that matter) is beyond me.

I know dogs love to sniff the  air, it will tell them a lot about the areas passed through and the final destination. However, a small stone or other debris could easily be thrown up into the dogs face which could result in serious damage to the dog.

• Thank you Zo.

They both came from very different backgrounds.

The brown one was a failed sheepdog, failed because she didn't like bangs or sudden noise, other than that, she was perfect, and I managed to help her overcome the sudden noise and bangs issue, titbits made easy work of that.

The black one, came from a rescue centre, horrendously ill treated and very nervous of strangers, and again, titbits and the right treatment made that a lot easier to handle.

But I always worked on the hidden surprise element, the one you can never account for, so the leads were always on and anchored when I wasn't holding them.

Reply- thats ok.  Also It’s interesting they came from differant backgrounds.

• Zo Clark said:

Also It’s interesting they came from differant backgrounds.

They were very good companions and I could take them anywhere and not worry.
  • It also annoys me when dogs walk without leashes and, at the same time, the owners do nothing about it. I wish it was against the law to walk dogs like that.