Collared dove fledgling advice

Hi, 

I have two in a low branch in my back garden easily accessible by my expert hunter of a cat Barney. 

I have been keeping her in for nearly a week until they fledged then yesterday they both flew away. I was therefore surprised to see them both return to the nest last night. This morning they were both there with a parent. This afternoon they still remain. 

I am nervous to let the cat out. Is this normal behaviour for collared doves? I’ve tried to find info about the behaviour of fledglings but couldn’t. Any idea how long it will be until I can let my cat out / they will fly away as she is determined to be outside and I worry she will get them. I will be sad to see them leave but it’d be worse if my cat got to them.

• Hi Netanya, I can't help regarding how long fledglings use nest site but my experience of Collared Doves feeding in my garden earlier this year involved two adults & three youngsters quite regularly over a period of several days & I did read that they disperse very widely over the country but no time span given, will keep looking!
    Empathise with the difficulty in juggling cats & birds, my old boy died aged 20 this year & will not replace, however I have been 'adopted' by three different neighbour's cats so still on watch armed with water pistols!

• Hi Dave,

I so appreciate the efforts you made to get me some help with this.

I couldn’t see them at dusk last night, then this morning there was no sign of the fledglings. They had made their way, they had evidently came back to the nest for a rest yesterday (and a talking to from the parent that stayed with them for hours)!

I have not seen them near the nest today at all, there has been no return. However, as it is currently dusk I thought I’d look out and saw them both sitting on the fence! They flew away a few moments later.

The cats have been out today though they were cautious due to the wind. I’ve felt a little heartbroken to see them go, after having fiercely protected them and gone to special lengths to see them through. It has been unbelievably difficult keeping my huntress in. They really are the most charming birds and I have learned a lot about them. Seeing them go through nesting from beginning to end was just lovely.

So it’s a success story. They fledged for good this time! *wipes tear from eye*