Raptors in N.Yorks

Many will have read me going on about our local area being top of the league for the persecution of raptors, not a title we were proud of and felt pretty helpless to do much about it. Last Saturday our local police along with the RSPB,BAWC along with others launched Operation Owl which they promise will put more pressure on the criminals and they are requesting the help of birders and other country goers to assist as extra eyes and report any goings on in the county they may think suspicious. For quite some time I have urged our local club members to do just this,now the police are recommending just that we can only hope the police on the ground get the support that has been missing before. It is certainly worth googling "Operation Owl" to find out more.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi Pete, I've just taken a look at the operation owl site and will add a direct link in HERE.     I really hope with more surveillance, police involvement and more members of the public being made aware and getting involved we can cut down on this dreadful illegal killing of our raptors.    

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

A laudable attempt but I do hope that they have plans to keep going for more than the one year- in fact I believe announcing that the Op will run for one year is a bit of a mistake on their part. Hopefully public involvement will make it easier for them to keep going, but a year (one shooting season) will not make a great deal of difference to the running of a driven grouse moor - most big businesses can take a hit for one year if they have to.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Good Morning,

Op Owl was launched this weekend. The Op is to help put an end to the illegal shooting, poisoning & trapping of birds of prey. Please be our eyes and ears and call 1 0 1 if you come across a dead or injured bird, a pole trap or bait.

Regards

North Yorkshire Police

we have just had this sent to all N.H. Watch co-0rrdinators, as said above I feel they should not have said for a year, as this should be a constant thing for the public to be doing, and the culprits when caught should be given a jail sentence along with the landowner, if the courts don't, then I am afraid everyone is wasting their time.

• In reply to bob j:

Bob, I think your comment about the courts is very pertinent. Have there not been a number of instances throughout the UK where video evidence presented by the RSPB has been deemed inadmissible? Ian

• In reply to bob j:

bob j said:

Good Morning,

Op Owl was launched this weekend. The Op is to help put an end to the illegal shooting, poisoning & trapping of birds of prey. Please be our eyes and ears and call 1 0 1 if you come across a dead or injured bird, a pole trap or bait.

Regards

North Yorkshire Police

we have just had this sent to all N.H. Watch co-0rrdinators, as said above I feel they should not have said for a year, as this should be a constant thing for the public to be doing, and the culprits when caught should be given a jail sentence along with the landowner, if the courts don't, then I am afraid everyone is wasting their time.

A friend of mine was at the Brimham Rocks presentation and said there were a few of our local keepers there  but he was not sure if they were just sussing out what was being said or hoping to take it all on board. One keeper was from one of what we think of as a friendlier moor where we almost always get at least one raptor there is hope out there but the police on the ground do need all our support. The project certainly got plenty of airing on places like Facebook,BBC and our local daily paper.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can