Trying again.......another Driven Grouse Shooting petition.

• In reply to Ian S:

47,278.  Bit too late for a last minute flurry.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:

HERE is the list of quarry species allowed;   I agree Pete that in this day and age the list seems very outdated and archaic as if we are still living in cave-man's days when there was a need to hunt for survival.    I don't know how often amendments are made to the quarry list but they need to balance all the factors and take into account that we are now living in the 21st century.    

I am in favour of culling animals (including grey squirrels! ) for purposes of protecting environmental habitats and  strengthening the gene pool in herds  but so called "Game" sport should be looked at more seriously and not by politicians who often have a vested interest in protecting the wealthy business run hunting parties who kill only for some sick pleasure.    

In full agreement with that Hazel and having lived and worked among some of the set up with the shooting estates I'm afraid they seem to exist back in Victorian times except maybe when it comes to money. Unfortunately the one or two "safe" estates in our area are greatly outnumbered by the bigger estates. A lot of people would agree with you about Grey Squirrels I think that as they are favourite food for Goshawks maybe we should have more Goshawks !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    A lot of people would agree with you about Grey Squirrels I think that as they are favourite food for Goshawks maybe we should have more Goshawks !!

I would prefer having Goshawks to Pine Martens    !    

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

There are rumours that Pine Martens have been seen in Yorkshire in the last year,nice furry little killers but that is nature.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

I trust that someone will at some point in the future put up another couple of petitions calling for banning and for licensing driven grouse shooting.  In the meantime I suppose that we can support groups attempting to bring more Pine Martins to areas with too many Grey Squirrels and who are attempting to encourage Goshawks to nest in more areas and who are supporting numerous other projects to protect and encourage various wildlife and their ideal environments.  We cannot give up now!

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

It finished on 48,097.  I'm not going to continue the thread just to push the licensing petition as that is clearly going nowhere.

I wonder what the murderous statistics will be like by the time of the next Hen Harrier day, in August?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

It is such a pity and so utterly disappointing that this petition is not getting a fraction of the attention and signatures needed as much as the other very serious and current issues like the amount of plastics in our seas;   to be honest, as Clare suggests, I can't think future petitions to license driven grouse shooting (at the moment) will gain any better results so all we can do is keep putting the pressure on, bringing it to the forefront with our local MP's (won't hold my breath though !) each time we get chance and continue to highlight this equally important issue.    I don't want people to wake up and smell the roses once it's too late and all our Hen Harriers have been rendered extinct.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

There will be a lot of unhappy people around this morning Clare with that news, all I can hope is that the younger generation will take up the lead and one day really have a go at the way our environment is run, probably I won't be around to see it, but can only hope.

Lot to learn

• In reply to Clare:

Clare Bailey said:

It finished on 48,097.  I'm not going to continue the thread just to push the licensing petition as that is clearly going nowhere.

I wonder what the murderous statistics will be like by the time of the next Hen Harrier day, in August?

Well you tried your best to keep the petition in peoples mind Clare,as you say Hen Harrier day should be our next big target for the general public to show their feelings on this matter.

Pete