Hobby (Falco subbuteo), Dorset 2023 - (c) WildlifeWindows

Link to last season's thread.

Last season 3 eyases were ringed AJ, AK and AL - we think AK was lost thru injudicious branching, I'm not sure if we heard of a definite outcome.

Live stream -  https://youtu.be/TNIiT1f0EgA

WildlifeWindows YT Channel - www.youtube.com/.../wildlifewindows

First hatch this season was yesterday morning, I'm too late for it.

Artificially enhanced because it's rather dim still - there's no IR on this overnight.

IMAGICAT

• 10 July

First break of the day was @ 04:41-04:55, no breakfast brought.  The eyases didn't get up from their sleep.

Breakfast:

Was this Dad taking a little turn?  He wasn't feeding a chick, the chick thought he ought to be tho:

Next meal @ 12:27 was difficult to discern - this is a gif but I may not have mastered it:

Next - a less gory version than showing the whole victim:

Nothing after that until the final meal of the day:

Not a very pleasant evening, by the look of it - dull and dampish.

IMAGICAT

• 5+2 = 7 Grin

Two came in from the wrong direction so weren't snappable.

Bedtime:

IMAGICAT

• 14 July

It was a sopping wet day but they did get fed:

The afternoon was rained off, but there was a supper at 19:00 and 20:15 !!!

IMAGICAT

• The stream's been buffering since about 13:20 so I've had to turn it off.  Waterlogged, no doubt Wink

EDIT

EDIT2

Here they were... thru the morning I was a bit concerned that one of them was not lively, then realised I couldn't tell if they changed places.  One is certainly very lively!

(I put the above Chat snap on the end for all the thousands of YouTubers who watch my videos but don't come here  Stuck out tongue winking eye   )

EDIT

I recorded this from rollback - one of the chicks only got a couple of bites before the feed was directed at the other - and Mama nearly got blow'd over!

The cam is back online Blush

IMAGICAT

• I do get worried for #2 but it's holding its own - it just gets confused sometimes and faces the wrong way, or tries to feed from its sibling's beak:

IMAGICAT

• 17 July

My editor crashed while I was doing a supper video, so I'll just say that there weren't as many meals as usual and there was heavy rain in the afternoon/early evening - but both the eyses made it thru the day will dark.

18 July

The eyases have been alone since this tiny breakfast:

IMAGICAT

• 19 July

The day started out with insect meals - sample with no ID cos I can't remember how to differentiate between damsel and dragon flies etc.

I checked thru the day until dark and the two came thru unscathed and fairly well fed.

IMAGICAT

• 20 July

I lost all the footage for the day - this teatime snap is from YT rollback, and the 2 were fine when darkness fell.  The blemish on the lens has been there for the past 12 hours, no idea how it got there.

IMAGICAT

• 23 July

The 'thing' is still stuck on the lens.

There's been at least one meal, and the eyases' tails are coming along:

IMAGICAT

• It's been a good/normal day, with several meals and no upsets - but the cam went down @ 16:40, which may have been because they ringed the eyases but I've only inferred that from Chat.  Black screen currently.

IMAGICAT