Great Horned Owlet @ Skidaway Is, Savannah

Now that the UK Osprey season is about to kick off, I'm transferring over from the LG Forums (link set at hatch page) this beautiful Great Horned Owl couple, who are nurturing a single owlet.  I think that the female is the same one whom I followed here (in a different tree, as Hurricane Matthew intervened) several years ago - she has a squint (at the very least) in her left eye.

The owlet is coming along great, here was its tea yesterday, when it seemed to manage the whole of a rat-tail but we never quite saw the tip go down:

IMAGICAT

• It's not often I watch nest videos but that Owl is an amazing bird thanks for posting

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks Scylla. The little one is coming on a treat! :)

Edit: I just checked the site's Twitter comments. The owlet ate a bat at 7:15am

• Sandra P said:
    The owlet ate a bat at 7:15am

That will be what I called "birdy" here - thank you, Sandra, it's obvious it was a bat now that you've told me,  Pity I didn't capture the munch.  I've changed the title Grin 

I didn't see any prey brought to the nest last night, but that's not gospel - however, it was a bad hunting night:

Mama wasn't pleased in the morning, she blamed it on the cam Wink 

Some snippets from today:

IMAGICAT

• 05/06 March

A hungry night - the only prey item seen, brought by Mama after one of her many outings, was a frog which appeared to escape Owlet's clutches... only to end up in the nest under Mama's feet, it seemed to me - but not easy to figure out what happened.

(Cams kept going down yeserday so I had to cobble this together via hours of effort Tired face )

Long!  It covers all evening/night/early morning:

After an uneventful day Mama was off early in the evening again.  This time, was it Dad who delivered a small-to-medium rodent?  The parent looks thinner than Mama but I'm not good at telling the difference unless they're together.

Owlet made heroic efforts to feed itself, did manage a shred eventually.

IMAGICAT

• It looked like dad to me, Scylla, he is much slimmer and has a smaller head in comparison to mama. That's a relief as he hadn't been seen since the 2nd according to Twitter. (Awaiting confirmation from the site that it was him)

I see that Savanna Owls have posted an 'advisory' notice for the option to watch the cam.

• The 'advisory' notice has been taken off. Papa delivered prey and handed over to mama at 6:35 am :)

Present scene

• Thanks for that info, SANDRA Relaxed

Glad to see I hadn't missed meals!

I've been rather "out of it" today, getting a laptop ready for the menders - it had gathered more dust than I realised.  Fingers crossed it comes back OK, otherwise... Frowning2

EDIT - I must have conked out at that point, it was typed last night Upside down

IMAGICAT

• A very hairy day here, with internet and software probs Tired face

May not be comprehensive but Owlet won't starve today - just 3 snaps:

IMAGICAT

• Another not-good prey night - poor weather.  I thought I heard an Osprey in the morning but when I "did" the sound I couldn't hear it.

IMAGICAT