Kingston College Peregrines 2019/2020

Over the past few months I managed to secure funds to extend the rooftop safety rail beyond the nest box. That allowed me to remove the old box, which was about 8 years old and needed replacing. We are in the process of building a new one. This will have two sides and a pitched roof. I have six 20kg bags of pea shingle ready and we are going to move at least two of the cameras next week. However...

Top right of the photo

They remained on the side of the building for at least 5 hours.

I borrowed a Canon camera from a member of the public who was hoping to do some filming at the rear of the college. Quid pro quo and all that. He's going to share the files via Google Drive as they were shot in raw. I will add them once I receive them. The photos above were taken with a basic Nikon and a 50mm lens. I borrowed that from the theatre manager!

The problem I now have is, do we have time to complete the construction and installation of the new box? I have not seen the Peregrines together in flight, but they seem happy enough in one another's company. A lot of dining has been taking place near the nest box and we also have to have repairs carried out to the small platform near the nest. I hope the birds aren't so far ahead in their courtship that they are likely to nest. Is that unprecedented? I notice that the Sheffield birds seem to be paired. At least I don't have a shrubbery to deal with! I might have to put back the old box at this rate!

YouTube link to Camera 1

YouTube link to Camera 2

YouTube link to Camera 3

There is also a Twitter account

THIS YEAR'S DATA:

Egg #1 laid 17-03-20 at 23:34:04

Egg #2 laid 20-03-20 at 09:43:51

Egg #3 laid 22-03-20 at 21:33:10

First chick hatched 30-04-20 at 07-41

Second chick hatched 30-04-20 at 11-00 approx

• Here's a crop of one of the pics I took with the borrowed Canon EOS 90D (with 135mm telephoto lens). I wonder what had caught their attention?

• The new camera positions. I can move them if required. The following pics indicate what the YouTube feed should look like.

Falcon Cam 1. This is about 12 feet closer to the dining area than previously. There should be more chance to identify any non pigeon meals. As you can see, the recently installed railings have not put off the Peregrines.

Falcon Cam 2. I have raised this camera about 2 feet. The new view means the steel girder is less intrusive than it was before. These pics were taken with my phone and are not from the feed. This has yet to be reinstated.

• All looking good MC, how's the construction of the new nestbox coming along?
  • The nest box is progressing nicely. Various changes are being made as we go along. That's the benefit of doing it in house. We can tweak it as much as we like and not worry about irritating a contractor. I'm getting a quote next week to get camera 3 moved. It has been rather unproductive so far. I'm planning on moving it closer to the nest box, maybe even behind it where the Falcons cache their food.
  • That should give some interesting views, keep up the good work, fingers firmly crossed for successful nest next year!
  • Thank you Paul for all your time and effort,agree Cam3 was not so effective as the other Two .

Do hope we have a productive Season, especially after all your hard work.
  • Thanks, Paul, Hope everything works out for the next nesting season.
  • Assuming I can get the funds for camera 3 to be moved, where would the best new location be? A lower side on view of the nest box or behind the nest box on the side of the building? Not sure what we would see from here as it's a step into the unknown. They certainly scuttle round there when doing change overs and there is some food caching around there too. It might also allow us to see where any juveniles go when they begin to move around. There would need to be an appropriate fixing point for the camera. I have attached a pic that I took last week when trying to determine how much free cable I had on Falcon cam 1. That would be the proposed location of the low level nest box cam.

It would probably be set slightly further to the right unless I can find a fixing point for it. I might be able to get a clamp of some sort from the theatre manager. The sort of thing they might use for lighting maybe?

• Sorry Paul, did not think I could add any input, I am sure you will choose wisely and hope you do obtain funds to move it,

It is a little too long distance to be of any good identifying as it is now. So anywhere closer to the comings and goings on to the scrape/box.

Thanks again for all you do.
  • Just realised that I didn't comment either MC ... you mentioned previously position cam behind nestbox, this could catch face view of birds as they come in under the girder on changeovers or bringing in prey for chicks?