Aiki, GrahamC and Shane re-visit Rye Meads

Hi folks

Its been a long time since we got out together but yesterday we decided to forget the forecast and just go for it and we ended up going to Rye Meads. I picked Aiki up on the way and we set off around the M25 ( Londons Orbital Carpark)  and for those of you who know the road you may be surprised to find out it was a clear journey all the way except for where a lorries tyre had burst and left debris everywhere. We arrived at around 09.15 and the gates were opened at 09.30 so we could access the hide outside the visitors centre until the main reserve opened at 10.00, I had not been here for a while and it was good to see there was plenty of water. Graham arrived at 10.00 and we set off around the reserve and after a stop off at the first hide we went to the Kingfisher hide to hopefully see some Kingfishers which are due to fledge today anyway here some of my shots, time for a new camera it seems mine is struggling now and the newer Fuji one I have I just cannot get on with.

Now you can see me

Now you cant

OK you didnt get the message kiss my departing behind !!

Even the Common Terns were having none of me and my camera.

Long shot of one of the pair of Kestrels nesting on the pylon overlooking the Kingfishers nesting bank.

One of the pair sitting in a dead tree near the nest box so we could get better photos.

There were lots of young Long Tailed Tots around they were lovely to see.

There were Gadwall all over the reserve.

And plenty of Ahhh moments

I think mum's saying follow me kids I'm fed up with these camera's.

I'm sure Aiki and Graham will be adding their reports and photos soon, but also seen today, were a pair of Bullfinches (real treat for me), Kingfishers (no good photos from me sorry), Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, Blackcaps, Common Sandpiper x 2, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Sedge Warbler, heard lots of Cetti Warblers, Orange Tip Butterflies, Swifts and Martins plus lots more. It was a great day out on Grahams local patch so thanks Graham and thanks Aiki for your company on the journey and during the day, oh yes and for the book, I was so busy reading it last night I never got around to doing this report until now.

Regards

Shane

P.S the weather turned out not to bad after all.

• Great report and fab photos...I defy anyone not to go 'aww' at baby LTTs, bet the boys did as well.  Excellent 'impossible' shot.

Caroline in Jersey

• I'm glad you all had a successful day out together and saw such a huge variety of birds and bees, and well done Aiki for the Mission Impossible capture of the swift. Great reports and lovely photos. Sorry Shane that you aren't getting on with your Fuji - give it to your lads!!

I'll be back to see what Graham has to say about being called "so cute". LOL.

• Thanks Dave, Aiki fired off countless shots but it was worth it with the "impossible" one.

Cheers Ray a good day was had by all.

LOL @ Andrew and thanks, and we still have Grahams to look forward to as well.

LOL @ Alan Ive not been called Poppet since my aunt used to call me it when I was a kid.

LOL @ Aiki Shhhh you said you would not tell.

Hi Caroline thanks and  it was in my head plenty of times all three of us were loving them.

Regards

Shane

• Hi Linda

Thank you its a pleasure to share a great day out with all on here, unsure about the camera at the moment I'm thinking of either trading in both for something better or enquiring about getting the kodak serviced depending on the cost.

• Thanks for the report & photos - glad you had a good time.

So much for it being impossible to photograph swifts!

:-)

• Hi Guys,

Looks like the weather held and you all had a nice day out. Must be great to be able to meet up with people that share the same interest and then go off and visit a reserve at the same time.

Photo's look great. Obviously the Kingfisher one is lovely, but I do like the Kestral one too.

So you planning any more trips out anytime soon?

Kind regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

• Hi Jackdaw

Sorry you could not make it in the end, you could have come along later and met us in the reserve and Graham stayed to closing, Aiki and I only left at 3 oclock to avoid the traffic on the motorway. Anyway glad you liked the reports and photos hopefully you can make it next time.

Regards

Shane

• Hi Chappers

Yes we did alright really with the weather in the end and your right its great to meet like minded people and share the day together. There might be something on next week but it depends on where it is as for some getting to a lot of places by public transport with the distances between us doesn't help.

Shane

• Great report Shane and aiki. So glad you all got together again. It's always good to share your experiences.

Love the Kestrel and duckling flotilla, Shane. Who wouldn't go aaaah.

Well done on the Swift photo, aiki. I think that's aiki 1, RSPB volunteer 0. Fabulous shot of the LTT fledgling and of course the Kingfisher.

Looking forward to see what Graham produces.

• Hi All,

Wow, what a build-up. Not sure if I can live up to it! Shane & aiki's report and photos are fantastic.

And it was another exceptional day out for me, following two amazing visits to Great Amwell NR recently. This visit was obviously better as it was with aiki and Shane, fantastic meeting up with them again.

The weather was forecast as drab and overcast and, although we did have cloud cover, the sun poked its' head out a few times. But the warmth of the company proved more fruitful.

Recent sightings from RM had Marsh Harrier; Red Kite and a Garganey here and the Kingfishers are due to fledge any day now. So we were quite hopeful of some good spots.

I counted up 51 sightings of our day, including a pair of Bullfinch; 3 Little Ringed Plovers; 3 Common Sandpipers; a nesting pair of Kestrel; lots of Warblers and, of course, the Kingfishers. Not many butterflies other than a few Orange Tips and I guess it is still a bit too early for the Dragons and Damsels.

When I met up with Shane and aiki we were met with a coach-load of children. RSPB Rye Meads is a educational Reserve and I think all the staff there work really hard to share their knowledge with the younger generation. They were all very well-behaved and looked very excited to be there. I hope they had as good a day as we had!

At the first Hide, the Draper, the highlight was 3 Little Ringed Plovers, spotted by aiki. Unfortunately, they were a little too far away for photos. The guys were eager to see the Kingfishers so we went straight to the KF Hide. Actually, the KFs were a little disappointing, flying in and out, feeding the young and not really hanging around. So, as aiki has said, we were treated to fabulous views of Kestrels; Bullfinches and GSWs. At one point they were all around at the same time and we didn't know where to point the cameras!

The Bees were a fabulous surprise for me, there were 'swarms' of them! We weren't too sure what had upset them but we didn't hang around long enough to ask them! I love the photo aiki got of them.

Spring has really sprung now, with broods from Coot; Moorhen; Mallard and Canada Goose around. But I guess the brood highlight was the LTTs. Damn, they were hard to photograph!

Doubling back to the Tern and Gadwall Hides we saw a pair of Common Sandpipers (I saw a third later on) and a few Common Terns on the Tern rafts. I say 'Tern rafts' - they were few amongst many Black-headed Gulls.

Unfortunately, the day had disappeared and the guys needed to get home. aiki had a cup of tea while we chatted to a volunteer, who told me where to find Alice the Fox and her cubs. They headed home while I headed off to find the fox cubs.

I sat down for what was presumably going to be a long wait, but, not five minutes later Alice turned up and then, to my delight, not one, not two, not three - but SIX cubs all appeared! I was treated to a wonderful display of cubs all bouncing around and playing tag with each other, while Alice looked on. She saw me but probably decided I was no threat so she trotted off to find dinner. I must have took a lot of photos - unfortunately they were quite a distance away so no really good ones. But it was wonderful to just sit and watch them.

The volunteer soon arrived and we took a walk around the Reserve together, for me seeing parts of the Reserve you don't always see. My thanks to him for that. He pointed out a Jay and a Shelduck, which were new for the day as well as a third Common Sandpiper.

By now, I was starting to flag so headed home, tired but elated! My thanks to aiki and Shane for being great company and sharing in another special day.

NB: Next week the weather looks great!!

The Photos!

A Collared Dove, which sat up for us nicely:

A Common Sandpiper - or is that two?

One of many chicks around the Reserve:

Another Long-tailed Tit:

One of the Orange Tips, this one refusing to open up!

And, finally, the Fox Cubs - too cute for words:

You can see six cubs - the sixth one is on the right, with Alice in the background. I took plenty of other photos as and when they all appeared but I hope this one shows the fun they were having.

Alice returned with dinner:

And, finally, Alice came over to wish me goodbye!

Thanks to aiki and Shane again for your company and hope to meet up again soon!

Best wishes, Graham 'The Cute One'   :)