SEO I'm so excited....I just can't hide it

Got up this morning with intention of going to Burdon Moor in search of the Short Eared Owls. Well, you could not see through the fog, but we decided to go anyway. When we arrived the place was bathed in sunshine so off we went. Passed two guys who had been there for 2 hours and seen nothing so off they went. Ten minutes later my OH said look there's a Short Eared Owl on the fence post, then along came another and another. They stayed hunting and flying for over an hour, it was wonderful, I was like a child at Christmas. I did take some photos but they were too far away for the 300mm lense and I did not have the tripod so they are fuzzy, but I don't care they are priceless to me.
Went back to the car and crossed the road to the Tanfield Railway Station 1725 and decided to take the steam train. Lunch on the train from our backpack. It was just like the railway children.

I must say a huge thank you to Paul & Jo (Drexyl) for letting me know about this place, I am so grateful even though my photos are not the best. Anyway here they are just to prove my dream came true

• Hi Judi,

Wow!  You lucky thing, how fabulous.  I would love an experience like that with owls of anykind so I am green with envy.  I like the last photo best.  Not just owl shots but flight shots too!  Well done you :-)

SB

• Well done, Judi. Definitely worth making the effort to go. They are magical to watch and you've managed to get some really good photos. Good on Drexyl for giving you the tip off. I would never have known where to go to see mine without the inside info. I might have to go back again.

• Ooooooooooooo Judi, you lucky lady. I know how much you love your owls, so know just how excited you feel, and who can blame you. Priceless photos indeed! They will be a forever reminder of your wonderful day. Well done on capturing those in flight, too. Excellent. I love them all, especially number 2.

Then a steam train expedition to round it all off - I am green with envy over your whole day.

• WooHoo Judi, excellent.  I was thinking about you this afternoon as I watched the Marsh Harriers and hoped to spot the SEO here.  Could have done with you two here to do some spotting for us.  

Caroline in Jersey

• well done judiM, glad you managed to see them, fantastic just watching them, nothing at all wrong with the photographs & they are yours to treasure......

usually loads of fieldfare,redwing,longtails kicking around, always kestrels & often red kites.......just down the road at causey arch can be good too...

was up at ashington today to get some waxwings & popped in at prestwick carr on the way back, shorties were already up in the air, 5 of them , great grey shrike still there and a male and female hen harrier.............oh long eared owl was sitting in a tree too...........

• Those are great photos, Judi, and I'm jealous - I've never seen any owl in the wild before.

• Thank you all so much for your lovely comments, guess you can feel the excitement.
    Drex Prestwick Carr is next and thank you again

• Well done Judi.

I can almost feel the excitement in your post.You must be feeling on top of the world.

It's brilliant to see a bird you so want to see, and then,to get a photo to boot, makes it that bit more special.

The photos themselves are all superb.

Well done again.

Viv.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 21/11/2011 02:11 in reply to jsr123

Whoo Hoo I think I can feel the radiance of your smile up here in the Scottish Borders Judi !

Very very pleased you got your owl shots at long last, well done you x

• You lucky thing Judi, I too so love owls and am still yet to see SEO and your photos are great - what a brilliant experience you had.