Five Days on Mull - Part Two

Our second full day on Mull saw us heading east, towards Tobermory and Aros Park.  We'd been recommended Aros Park as other guests at our B&B said they'd seen dippers there in previous visits - it wasn't our day, though, as we saw no dippers and the rain was tipping it down.  We then headed down the coast to Salen where we enjoyed a break in the weather (about time!):

It's that curlew again.

What's down there, then?

Today it had the company of a greenshank.  Beautiful.

Off it goes.

A grey heron flies past.  These were also everywhere on the coast.

One of a few house martins still in the area.

We then headed down to Garmony.  Limpy managed to get a split-second view of a dipper as it flew past him (YAY!) and and we both had views of a red-breasted merganser in the distance (a first for us both) but (as usual) I looked at what was actually within reasonable photographic range:

I'm always pleased to see common gulls and this one looked beautiful as it flew across.

It looked particularly striking with that dark sky in the background.

A herring gull at its most expressive!

These curlews get everywhere.

Eventually we headed back up to Tobermory, where we parked near an excellent fish and chip van next to the Fisherman's Pier.  A young bird decided to highlight the van's excellent fare:

A lovely young herring gull.

As I finished my smoked sausage (yum, yummmmmmm) and chips I noticed that further up the pier a curious pair of birds were very interested in the pile of creels:

What remained of the baits on the creels were being systematically picked off.

Yes, you are a very fine looking bird.

Caught in mid-scoff!

'I am the greatest!'

After the fun of watching this pair we started heading back to the car, but we were stopped in our tracks by a beautiful little bird which crossed the pier and the street and headed up onto a nearby roof:

Whatever I was expecting to see in Tobermory, it wasn't a grey wagtail!

Gorgeous.

Finished with an inevitable shot of a herring gull on a roof.

That's enough for Part Two ....... Part Three to follow!  (Part One is here).