Visit to Rutland Water on 14th August 2021 - ospreys and so much more!

Rutland Water is a brilliant place to visit.  Not only does it have ospreys from late March to August, it has all this lot as well:

Lapwings are gorgeous little waders and happily there was enough light to bring out the beautiful iridescence of its feathers.

I can never resist a bathing swan.  Of any kind.

This common gull was clearly wondering why it was being singled out for attention.  I had no way of telling it that it was because it was the only one there.

Not sure I want to know what these two are up to.

I'm still surprised to see the Godfather (great black-backed gull) here.  They're supposed to be a true sea gull - at least, that's what their Latin name translates as.

This black-headed gull looks a trifle put out at having the world's largest species of gull turning up in what it considers to be its own patch.

The Godfather heads out.  Check out that wingspan!

Osprey Blue 33 flies down to his daughter (095) on the Manton Bay nest.

The common gull enjoys a nice, refreshing bath.

I love watching common terns as they hover.

A visit to Rutland wouldn't be complete without seeing a pied wagtail, complete with wagging tail!

More tern action ........

......... and more.  I love the posturing!

A beautiful buzzard.  That'll please the ospreys.

The young male osprey (096) flies past with a fish.  Well most of one, anyway.

The Manton Bay female, Maya, in flight.

A beautifully marked young black-headed gull.

Three of many cormorants on one of the dead trees.

Finishing with a chilled out wood pigeon on a wire.

Enjoy!

• What a fabulous set of species and photos Clare, brings back lovely memories of Manton Bay and Rutland Water; those ospreys have such incredible wingspans and glad to see they weren't going hungry before their long flight south; also love to see the Terns. Thanks for such an interesting post and gorgeous photo captures.
  • Unknown said:
    those ospreys have such incredible wingspans

Yes, they do.  Some years ago, at Loch Garten, one of the Osprey Team explained that the longer wingspan gave them extra lift - as a raptor who would inevitably be taking off from the water with its prey it needed something to compensate for the fact they had no ground to push against. 

Funnily enough one of the main confusion species for the osprey is the great black-backed gull - they have a very similar flight silhouette at distance (and a massive wing span!).

• More fabulous photos Clare, and the osprey with lunch in its talons (I did see it in the other Rutland post but kept it for this one) was a nice capture.

• It was lovely to see the rest of your photos from your trip away, lots of different birdies, thanks for sharing.