Lots of birds at lovely Lackford!

Limpy and I headed to Lackford Lakes yesterday afternoon, and the journey was well worth it:

This Canada goose (and its reflection) was looking good!

Just one of the increasing numbers of teal.

Bath time for Mrs Mallard!

This hungry cormorant wasn't having much luck.

A subtly beautiful male gadwall.

As Limpy had brought food with him it was inevitable that this inquisitive bird would appear!

A marsh tit.  At least, I hope it's a marsh tit - I've never seen a willow tit for comparison.

Awwwwwww.

This is the bird we really hoped we'd see -  a gorgeous nuthatch.

What a poser!

Yay!  It's always good to see this beautiful little bird.

I'll confess that I generally get carried away when I see a kingfisher.

I did briefly divert my attention from the kingfisher to this gleaming crow.

Finishing with one last kingfisher.

Enjoy, as always!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Another fabulous set of species and photos Clare and looks like you and Limpy had a rewarding day out. Can't really pick a favourite as love them all but Kingfishers always attract the eye with their glorious colours where the light has such a striking affect; they almost look like they are wearing a bustle as they perch with that sticky out rear/tail !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Fabulous photos Clare, lovely to see and thank you for sharing
  • Beautiful bird studies, Clare. Love the gadwall.

• Gorgeous photos, Clare--thanks! Especially love the Kingfisher pics and, of course, the handsome Gadwall.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• Lovely selection of shots, Clare.

My bird photos HERE

• A lovely selection Clare, the Nuthatch has a very, look at me pose! Lovely colours on the Kingfisher. Glad you both had a nice day out

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lovely crisp photos Clare, love the Kingfisher, Nuttie and Marsh Tit along with the underrated Gadwall. I've had some good Kingfisher & Nuttie shots there in the past. I assume the Nuthatch and Marsh Tit were on the tree stumps at the beginning of the woodland where people put the food down. Theres often wood mice about and Treecreeper in that area. Its time I braved a visit there again soon. This weekend we'll be at Minsmere for a few days so hoping for some good sightings.

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• You are getting some cracking images lately, Clare. Excellent close-up shots of the Kingfisher. No wonder you are up for promotion in your photographic club.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream