The Woodbridge Osprey ........... and friends!

Limpy and I visited Woodbridge three times in the last week to see if we could see the osprey - we were lucky enough we see it on two of the three days.  After an initial false start we found the spot on the bank of the Deben where we were most likely to see it.  It was on the Thursday that we really struck gold:

Yes, that is a fish dangling from its talons.  Yay!

Unsurprisingly it was in a hurry to find somewhere quiet to tuck in.

A couple of hours passed before Limpy spotted that distinctive flight silhouette again - and this time, it had a pursuer:

Corvids are very determined birds, but ospreys are faster:

This is the only osprey we'd seen this year and we were delighted that this bird was so obliging!

Hope you all like it.

• Great photos Clare and lucky you getting such good views.
  • Thanks, Tony

It goes without saying that there were a few other birds beside the osprey - well, I had to snap something during the two hours between the osprey sightings, didn't I?

A pretty common gull.

Off it goes.

The Three Amigos (well, black-tailed godwits)

The curlew finds it's not built for doing the Can-Can

It can run at a fair speed, though!

A godwit poses suavely with its shadow.

A colourful lapwing.

Finishing with a final curlew.  I've had a really good week when it comes to photographing curlews!

Enjoy!

• You have been busy this past week Clare, so many lovely photos. I do wish I lived nearer than 90 mins drive to the coast.
  • two great sets of photos Clare and well done on the Osprey, to see that huge wingspan is something to behold and hopefully it will find its way safely to Africa as weather will be changing in a couple of days so hope it heads on its way soon. Lovely wader pics with the Curlew and the magnificent plumage colours showing through on the Lapwing. What a nice way to start my day looking through this fine set, thanks :)
  • You certainly had a good day out Clare. The Osprey photos are lovely, especially the last one, one of my favourite birds. The outstretched wingspan really shows off the colours and markings. A happy days birding for you both.
  • All fabulous shots Clare, had to look up where you were, Mrs PB keeps mentioning East Anglia/Suffolk type area for a trip, so we may end up heading that way :o) Thanks for posting
  • More wonderful shots, Clare, thanks for posting. That definitely was a great day birding, what with an Osprey and Curlews and Gulls, too, with a couple of others thrown in.