Croatia

Making this ahead of time - the count down has begun and provided I can get off the Island this afternoon this should be finally actually happening.  a few years in the planning and postponed twice - I'm actually fizzing with excitement 

• I'm impressed the yellow legs were trained to jump up when someone pointed a camera...that's proper guiding!!
    The wasp is as you say, extraordinary... and the markings on the hopper...fabulous... I'd never thought about a european destination for a trip.... but more likely than Costa Rica or somewhere I reckon lol
    Fantastic stuff, thank you :o)
  • Just wait PB.....

The next day dawned sunny but still windy - it was moving day again - off to the mountains 

Quick stop to buy lunch

and then up to a mountain pass

Glanville Frit

Black veined White

Pearly Heath

Knapweed Frit

Safflower Skipper

Checkered Blue

Geranium Argus

'I don't remember' 

Large Grizzled Skipper

Dalmatian Wall Lizard

Toadflax

Chestnut Heath

Ringlets

Lesser Marbled Frit

• AWE
    SOME!!!!
    Who knew there were so many different variations of different makes of flutterby!! All the frits are so intricately patterned, a joy to see

Google lens said white-spotted sable moth for the one you couldn't remember?
    Were the bits you visited touristy at all, or more like "real" Croatia?
  • PimperneBloke said:
    AWE
    SOME!!!!
    Who knew there were so many different variations of different makes of flutterby!! All the frits are so intricately patterned, a joy to see

Google lens said white-spotted sable moth for the one you couldn't remember?
    Were the bits you visited touristy at all, or more like "real" Croatia?

Thats a good possible for the UFO, PB - it may be one we are waiting on for confirmation 

Some bits were touristy i.e the Plitvice Lakes National Park.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and 1000's go there daily BUT it is incredibly well managed and cared for and time slots are allocated from what I understand.  There are obviously better times of day to go and I won't deny there were hoards of school children but they were for the main part polite and respectful. The Velebit National Park was popular but we were there on a Sunday so understandable.  The Croatians are quite rightly very proud of their National Parks and I think there is an interconnected network of routes.  The rest of the time we were very much in the real Croatia and in places that you wouldn't find without the local knowledge. 

• My latest obsession showed up again

Owl Fly

Our picnic spot was an interesting 'Fen' area 

There wasn't a huge amount around except for one very special little flyer, who was very shy and wary but did show for a brief magical moment 

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Owl Flys making a future generation 

Ilex Hairstreak

Lace Border

Lattice Heath

• Really interesting updates CJ and so many I've never even heard of. Nice you encountered the Owl fly again, what a beauty and I've only seen one Lesser spotted woodpecker before which was in Wales so nice to see your photo of this one in Croatia.

• A new abode - 

Early morning butterfly

Lesser Marbled Frit

Black veined moth

Today we were heading into to the Velebit Mountains via some incredible meadows.  It was Frit heaven 

Glanville 

Southern Heath 

Purple-shot Copper

Turquoise Blue

Duke of Burgundy

Dark Green & Amanda's Blue

Fresh Tort

Heath hitching a lift 

Sooty Copper

High Brown

Hoppers

It was truly an experience in these meadows and lane - everywhere one looked there was something to see, it was almost sensory overload 

Now two rather special treats 

The Stunningly beautiful Silver-washed showing exactly why it's called that

and the stop you in your tracks - have I really just seen that ..

Scarce Copper

• Amazing species and lovely photos CJ, so many new ones I've never heard of before so wonderful to see, many thanks.
  • Had to wait til I got home from work to look at the pictures properly before commenting, Cin... you're right, it's got better and better!
    Does new abode mean you've bought it and are moving there?!? The landscapes and scenery are certainly spectacular.
    What a treat with the lesser spotted woodies,
    Here was me feeling chuffed with the couple of Dark Green Frits I saw yesterday, and you've got meadow's full of them!!
    When I scrolled down and saw the upper wings of the Scarce Copper I nearly fell out of my chair.
    Absolutely stunning, belting, phenomenal trip Cin.... I can't imagine how long you've spent grinning like a Cheshire cat reliving all these sightings!
    Thanks for sharing (hoping there's more to come!!)
  • Thank you Hazy. Still a few left to share. It really was the most amazing trip