A week in Mallorca (updated)

Not long returned from a guided bird watching week in Mallorca. I've not been there before and the trip didn't look too arduous as it was single centre with not too many long journeys.

Mallorca is the largest of the Balearic islands and we were based in the north of the island between Port Polença and Arcúdia.

© Google Maps

We stayed in a place called the Pollentia Club Resort which looked out over a bay popular with kite surfers and to the rear the Albufereta Marsh. I've never stayed in a place like it. As the name implies it was a self-contained resort spread out over a large area with small apartment blocks, swimming pools, tennis courts, spas, bars and several restaurants. It was very much geared towards to the sporting set including cyclists of which there were many. Everyone looked lean and toned so as scruffy birders with bins, cameras and telescopes we got a few curious looks. However, it was very comfortable, well maintained and most importantly the food was good and plentiful. I only got lost twice on the complex. LOL

This is just the entrance to the resort which I was told could cater for 1500 people.

© Google Streetview

Enough waffle let's get on with the report.

The resort had its own hide reached by a short boardwalk which overlooked a small lake and the marshes. This would usually be our pre-breakfast walk at about 7am when it was just light. Distant views of things like Marsh Harriers, Purple Herons, Stilts etc but the only bird near enough to photograph was my bogey bird, Cetti's Warbler. It's been eluding my camera in the UK for years. Strange I had to go to Mallorca to get one. Dim light unfortunately so not great pics but at least I got the little blighter.

And a bit of relaxed preening

A longish walk up the Boquer Valley which is supposed one of the best birding spots proved to be quite disappointing. We did have distant views of Cirl Bunting, Woodchat Shrike and Redstart but nothing in range of my camera. Several Booted Eagles were seen but again rather distant. In fact the only photo I took was this Painted Lady butterfly in the car park.

Oh, and the Red Baron flew over. I think he was bird watching from the plane.

On a separate day we visited the Cúber Reservoir up in the mountains. On the way there we had distant views of Griffon and Black Vultures which are quite scarce in Mallorca. It's an attractive spot.

A quick video panorama. I don't know who the scruffy birders are. LOL

As we walked around to the dam I thought it was going to be a bird free zone. All we could hear were Chaffinches calling from the pines. I got distracted by a couple of lovely young calves which seemed to be licking the mud possibly for the minerals. Mum was in the background watching over them.

Below the dam we saw and heard a Nightingale in full song. The situation was further retrieved by a Firecrest. These photos are pretty long distant shots against a dark background so not great quality but I was pleased to get them.

During our picnic lunch amongst the pines an alert member of out group heard Crossbills calling. Very difficult to see as they were in the top of the canopy but I managed a few shots of the male - probably a youngish bird. I couldn't get on the females.

After a slow start to the day we ended up with some reasonable sightings

To be continued ........... 

• Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It was quite a good exercise  to get it all down on paper (well electronic media) to remind myself of what we saw.

Noisette, I think you are right about the second butterfly also being a Speckled Wood. I think a Wall was seen but not photographed by me.

Now the next question is have I got the energy and stamina to go to Bulgaria on a dragonfly trip.

• Unknown said:
    Now the next question is have I got the energy and stamina to go to Bulgaria on a dragonfly trip.

lol Tony,    you only live once so if you feel fit enough and have a spare piggy bank then go for it   !!!      besides which,    I'm already anticipating and looking forward to your Bulgarian report with dragonfly photos  LOL      no pressure !!

• Unknown said:
    Tony,    you only live once

LOL Hazel, I think I'm living on borrowed time already. The spirit is willing but the flesh is getting weak. A fellow forumite whom I won't name is going on it so I'm tempted  One last overseas trip? I've got to decide soon. 

• lol Tony !!   I know these decisions are often hard to make as even transiting through airports with all the luggage and extra security these days is a hassle and not to be entered into lightly !   having said that, you would only need the 100mm  macro lens for the dragonflies so much less camera gear  lol