A Weekend in Marrakech

Given the fact that the weather (aka "Storm Imogen") looked lousy, we decided to go to Marrakech for the weekend. I know, we're a pair of wimps, but the prospect of sun rather than rain was too much to resist. Obviously this wasn't a birding trip, but I still took the Canon and 70-300mm lens along - just in case. (As well as a Panasonic T70 for tourist shots, although with the 30x zoom it can be used on birds in good light). I do find it much easier to carry two cameras rather than change lenses. There are also certain situations where you really don't want to wave a big lens about!

At this time of year the number of species to be seen in the city was limited, but the sheer quantity of birds was phenomenal. On arrival at the airport we saw our only Black Kite of the trip, followed by a Kestrel (which was also there on departure). Driving into the city there were a couple of unidentifiable Pipits on a roundabout - I couldn't really ask the driver to stop.

On our arrival at our raid (Raid Konouz - thoroughly recommended) we were greeted by the resident House Buntings - a totally endearing bird that is incredibly common - even inside houses.

House Buntings

House Sparrows were also very, very plentiful. At dusk and dawn you can see flock after flock flying over the rooftops to head to and from their roosts near the Koutoubia Mosque. It was actually very hard to take a panoramic picture early in the morning without them getting in the way.

I thought my lens was covered in dust originally.

Another bird seen just about everywhere is the Common Bulbul.

Common Bulbul

Spotless Starlings were also common, particularly in the gardens behind the Koutoubia Mosque.

I think someone blow-dried this one!

There was also a White Wagtail wandering around.

As you might expect, Collared Dove and feral pigeons were everywhere.

Blackbirds were plentiful.

Wandering in the modern part of the city - right in the busiest commercial section, we came across a pair of Kestrels that must nest nearby.

Every morning and evening there were hundreds of Swifts above our roof terrace, mostly Pallid and Little, but I'm not sure I didn't spot some Common, although I'm assured it was too early in the year. There were also a couple of Swallows, so perhaps not... Every evening small flocks of cattle egret flew overhead and as it got dark the bats would come out.

Of course, the real stars were the nesting Storks around the Badi Palace.

Does this aid mobile reception I wonder?

Stork tenement.

Here's a tourist shot to finish. :-)