Iceland: Land of Ice and Fire - Part 3

Part 1 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

I've finally got round to writing Part 3 of my Iceland odyssey. In fact I did it about 10 days ago but just as I was finishing it I had a computer crash and lost the lot. A wet day is the perfect opportunity to finish the job.

The West

After three days in the north of Iceland we set off for our final destination based at the small fishing port of Grundarfjörður on the Snæfellsnes peninsula. Because we had been unable to use the highland route when going to the north of the island we had to retrace our steps along the coast road until we were able to turn west. 

One of the disadvantages of a three centre trip is that you spend quite a bit of time travelling. Although we stopped en route several times (one enforced) to do some bird watching there was not much opportunity for photographing wildlife. We did see some distant White-tailed Eagles but too far away for photos. I'll just show a couple of shots to give you an idea of the sort of scenery we were travelling through

Our enforced stop was due to a blow-out of a rear tyre which was completely shredded on the gravel surface roads we were traversing at the time. This is our rather smart mini bus with trailer containing our luggage. 

The following morning we set off for the port of Stykkishólmur (don't you just love these unpronounceable Icelandic names) to take a ferry to Flatey Island.  It was beautiful sunny morning and although the journey took about 90 minutes it was worth it when we got there. Here's the small ferry leaving us on Flatey for its next destination.

The island of Flatey which is quite small seemed to be a holiday destination for Icelanders as there were a number of summer homes. Obviously a very popular place for birds too which were prolific and quite confiding.

Redwing on the roof of a house. I don't know why but I was mildly surprised to find one on this remote island

Redshanks were everywhere calling constantly

There's no escape from Red-necked Phalaropes in Iceland. Amazing little birds going about their business oblivious to our presence

You don't get up close and personal with a Snipe very often  

Meadow Pipit with a beakfull.

Arctic Terns whizzing about

and approaching its nest

Ringed Plover trying to distract us away from its nest

A rather distant shot of a Black Guillemot in the sea.

There's only a small colony of Puffins on Flatey We were rather looking down on them so not the best views

Slightly better view of one in the water

All too soon it was time to catch the ferry for the return trip to the mainland. I could have stayed there a lot longer. Our only disappointment was that we didn't find the Grey Phalarope (aka Red Phalarope) . Flatey is believed to be one of the few, perhaps the only, place in Iceland where it breeds. Although I've seen it in the winter in the UK it would have been nice to have seen it in its summer plumage.

Our final full day was spent exploring various locations around the Snæfellsnes peninsula. A rather random collection of photos with no real theme to it.

I think this is Snæfellsjökull volcano, the highest mountain on the peninsula.

They like their horses on Iceland and there are masses of them around. This fine fella was guarding a couple of mares.

A mixed flock of gulls on the beach, mainly Glaucous and Great Black-backed I think. There might be an Iceland Gull amongst them.

A "King of the Castle" Glaucous Gull.

A Ringed Plover admiring the Dandelions

A solitary Dunlin

Female Eiders ushering away a creche of ducklings

An Arctic Tern returning to its nest. One of these photos might make it to my wildlife calendar.

The coast at  Saxhólsbjarg gave us views of Guillemots and Razorbills nesting on the cliffs. These were not easy to photograph against the dark rock.

A little group of Common Guillemots huddled against the rocks withe one of the "bridled" variety with them

Another group with the top three being Brunnich's Guillemot, I think.

A slightly clearer view in which you can jus about make out the white gape stripe which is characteristic of the Brunnich's.

A Razorbill

A solitary Fulmar

Great Black-backed Gulls squabbling over a fish

"Ram-beau" guarding his girls

An Arctic Skua

A photo friendly Snow Bunting

Which sang obligingly.

Our last rip of the day was to see the Kittiwake colony nesting in some deep crevasses in basalt rocks

The male (presumably) feeding the female

Bringing nesting material

And finally sailing off a little convoy of Harlequin Ducks, one of the emblematic birds of Iceland

That's it folks. Thanks for joining me on my Icelandic odyssey. Hope you you enjoyed it. If you've never been there I thoroughly recommend it. Take your woollies and waterproofs though.

• Absolutely enthralling finale TJ and even more crystal clear pics for us to share!

Thank you for persevering after that unfortunate 'crash' & shan't ask what you said at the time!

I would choose No.2 Tern pic & that beautiful Snow Bunting for my calendar!!

• Thank you so much for the finale of your Icelandic adventures, Tony. I really have enjoyed them and almost feel as if I have been there.

There are certainly many more wows in part 3 but I must say I really love your second Snow Bunting pic.

• Oooh, there's a part 3! Thank you TJ, another gorgeous set of photos and great to have the background info too, certainly has made me want to go (even more than I already did, which was a lot).

I had a little sift through your gull photo and have circled some that are not Glonks or GBBG - top one I'm pretty sure is subadult Iceland (I think second summer), middle one probably first-summer Iceland, bottom one looks like Herring Gull.

• Thank heavens you managed to sort out your computer TJ, it has been wonderful to see the pictures of the various places you visited, the light in your photos seems to be very like Cornwall, so very clear, the water blue and calm.   Love all the bird photos, you will have your job cut out to choose just 12 for your calender.   Thanks so much for posting.

• Thanks, TJ, for another lovely collection.  Tough to choose a favourite.  I do like the Eider flotilla and the Redwing and the Terns and the Snow Bunting and the Redshank and...oh I give up, can't choose just one!

• I agree with everyone Tony, another wonderful report. I do like a Gull so I think the Glaucous Gull takes the top spot for me, but only just. All fantastic shots and a very enjoyable series altogether.

• Thanks very much for your kind comments and for staying the course. It was a good trip although I was struggling with a cold from about half way through which went down on my chest so I wasn't at my best I was still coughing a week after my return home. The searing heat in the Camargue where I went only two weeks later finally cleared my chest but that's another story.

Aiki, thanks for going through the gulls. I'd picked out the top one you circled as a possible Iceland Gull but hadn't spotted the other two as being different from the rest. I knew we'd seen an Iceland somewhere but I couldn't remember where.

Arctic flowers (apart from Dandelions) were in short supply because of the cold spring. I'll leave you with one final photo of an Arctic Poppy which is as tough as old boots and thrives in very poor stony soil typically by the roadside. Taken on my phone.

• I did the same scan through the gull photo as 'aiki', and picked out the same birds (I'm not convinced about the middle one though). There are also a few Lesser Black-backed in the shot.

• Thanks Roy, I'm not surprised that there are some LBB gulls amongst the flock. We saw them pretty much every day.