Wildlife on the Gironde estuary - Our first garden Snipe

• In reply to Robbo:

To be honest Robbo, if you see them in the UK at the moment they'll be the same colour as ours, so if yours aren't black then neither will ours be. LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

To be honest Robbo, if you see them in the UK at the moment they'll be the same colour as ours, so if yours aren't black then neither will ours be. LOL

Easier said than done in UK from end of breeding season onwards. They tend to disappear.

• In reply to Robbo:

I've looked at all the photos on our local observations site & the only black & white males are photos taken in April when they are going the other way. So I think that must be the reason we've not seen a male in autumne is "that they look like females" as you said!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

While we were having lunch & looking out of the window I saw an unusual bird poking around in the lawn at the bottom of the garden. Grabbed bins & WOW our first Snipe in the garden. It seemed quite happy & stayed over 30 minutes. It was in an area where the moles had been & the soil is very soft, ideal for their long beaks. We'd also had 20mm of rain a couple of days ago. Luckily the sun came out today which makes long distance photos so much easier!

It was a bit tucked away at first

but it moved across & a bit closer

It started to look quite well fed

& tucked it's beak under it's wing, so we thought we'd go outside & try to sneak up on it, but it saw us straight away & sat down in the grass,

So we left it in peace & it flew off soon after.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Wow !  how amazing to find a snipe in the garden  - lovely :)

such beautiful little waders with such fantasic plumage.   Hope it returns and you never know, where there's one there may be others well hidden !  

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Great bird to get in the garden. Such striking looking birds. I can guarantee that it's a bird I'll never get in mine but then again I don't live in rural France.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

We've seen them & heard them before on the local marshes & they are very timid (hunted over here), so it was quite a suprise to see it in the garden. The photos were taken from our house about 30m away.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Wow, very nice Hazel, a Snipe in the garden as got to be a first.

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to James:

Smashing bird to see anywhere let alone in the garden!!!  Thanks for posting Hazel.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Congratulations, Hazel, on the Snipe; I wonder how many other birders have Snipe on their Garden list!

Kind regards, 

Ann