Wildlife on the Gironde estuary - Our first garden Snipe

• In reply to gaynorsl:

We only get them in Winter, they are lovely little things & good to see them this year.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

It's long past time I posted on here. We've had Pied Flycatchers coming through in the last couple of days. On Friday they took advantage of the moths in the grass after a moth trap. This morning they were perched in the fruit trees & dropping onto the grass to eat whatever was there. I managed to get a few shots in a couple of sessions where they were near to the house,

I managed to get a side view in this shot, but it was further away

back in the old tree, but there are always twigs in the way

& another side shot

& finally out in the open

They come through every year at this time, but we don't always get such lovely views.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

lovely little bird  H but not one I've knowingly seen in the wild ... good idea to use moths as a lure, birds here fly into shed to pinch mine off the sheet, always know cos they leave calling cards! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    good idea to use moths as a lure

LOL

I had the Wagtails raising their families on what they found in the grass the morning after moth traps! They got most put out if I didn't have one for a few days.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

How could you neglect them so H! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Cute little birds. Do you get the smart looking males coming through as well?

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Funnily enough we were commenting on that TJ, today they were all (at least 5 & probably 8 or 9 birds) Ist year or females, males rarely seen by us. Maybe they are more shy?

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Aren't they harder to differentiate on Late Summer/Autumn migration? I don't know but am guessing they moult before leaving Uk and other northern breeding areas.

• In reply to Robbo:

Yes that's true Robbo, but I thought you would pick up the wider wing bars & white patch above the beak, but maybe they are all part of the nuptial colours.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Got to admit that I don't know the answer to that, Noisette. I've never been away anywhere overseas in the Autumn. Higher priorities for my holiday allocations. Maybe when I retire.....