White Storks in Germany (Main-Kinzig Area) 2014 (Update October 5th 2014)

Hello!

For all of you, who would like to hear some more about the Storks in my home-area, there is something I would like to share. On Saturday there was a large article in the newspaper. It was the usual report about the Storks that have already returned and about the nestingsites in the region.

First of all, for you to take your bearings, I have a rather bad photo of a map. The scale is 1:25.000, and it shows the ca. 10 kilometres between the suburb of the town, where I live, and another town more to the west. I have tried to mark the areas, where the nests are, with colourful post-it-pieces and black crosses on them. The orange one on the right side of the map is right here at my hometown and stands for 4 nests. Three of them I can see from the train on my way to work, and two of them are already occupied. On the left side there are a blue and a green spot. The blue one is a nest on a Church, the green also stands for three nests. And today I have seen, that a couple is trying to make themself at home on a dead tree, where they make an attempt of building a nest without any aid by humans (normally there are posts put up with a platform on top, on that the Storks build their nest). Surprisingly, this dead tree is not more than 30 metres away from the railroad-tracks. The two Storks stood up there and were completely calm and relaxed, as the train passed by.

And now lets start with my report about the newspaper-article:

In the whole area, that is even larger than the part shown on the map, there are now 32 nests. 27 are already occupied by couples, and the other three by single birds. All these storks are experienced birds, that already had chicks in the past. Some of the couples have not returned to their previous nests, but have moved to other nests. That is not definite, as latecomers might still be able to chase them away. The article also says that it is more important to a stork to keep his usual nest than his usual partner. Isn't that interesting? The oldest Stork, that has returned, is a 17-year-old male, who nests in the area, that I have marked with green. He has returned with a young female, and it is supposed that his former partner must have died. The male from a nest more to the east from us, has last year had a deadly accident with a train. This year a new male has come, and replaced him.He has a ring with the number DEW 9 X 956, that means that he is hatched in 2011 at Neuenhaßlau (you can see it right in the middle of the map, it is not far from here). In the article is also something about a "Chaos-Couple". If everything in the article is true, they have kidnapped a chick from another nest last year. And now, they have occupied another nest than last year, but they also defend their old nest. So there are heavy fights to be expected.

The experienced couples are quite relaxed with humans and dogs, but newcomers can easily be disturbed, and might give up their nest and chicks then, so all the people are asked not to approach the nests and not to preoccupie the Storks.

This is all for now. If there is more in the newspaper, or if I can take some pictures, I'll try to post soemthing here.

Kind regards from Germany,

Bente

• These are great updates Bente.

The storks on the railway line look like they may be in a dangerous place, is there anybody you can alert about their nest. The one's around here on pylons have special insulators fitted (not sure what or how) to reduce the risk of electrocution.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hello Hazel,

our local birding-group knows about this nest. I agree, the place seems very dangerous. Nothing has been done yet to remove the Storks and their nest from there, but I'm very interested to see what will happen. Until now, they seem to be very happy, and they seem to have found a way to take-off and land safely.

I'll keep you informed.

Yours, Bente

• Hello for the next update,

these Storks are always good for a surprise. I can never get enough of them. Today I've noticed that in one of the nests there are not only three young ones, but four. I've taken a few pictures during my today's walk to the nest. Please enjoy.

And I've once again another picture for the Bottom's-up-thread.

Yours, Bente

• That's good news Bente,it's always tricky to count the youngsters, unless they all stand up at once they often have one hidden. We took this photo the other day of a kestrel sitting in her nesting box, mounted below the plateforme. Do they put nesting boxes below some of your plateforms? They are often occupied,

The sparrows often nest in the sides too.

Best wishes

• Hi Bente. Your last few updates have somehow passed me by but now that I've caught up I have to say that you've captured some really wonderful shots. It's great to see that the youngsters appear to be doing well and I hope that the railway Stork's stay safe.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hello Hazel, hello Paul,

nice to see you here.

As far as I can see there are no nest boxes underneath the Storks' nests, but maybe someone gets the idea sooner or later. As for the railway-Storks, they seem to be quite safe, but at the moment it doesn't seem as if there were any young ones to expected this year. My Dad thinks that this year these Storks are buzy with nest-building, and that maybe next year they might attempt raising a family.

Regards, Bente

• Hello and good evening,

do you care for some more news from the Storks?

I've been to the nest in the late afternoon. The chicks are already so big! And they are already trying out their wings! I've taken some photos. Do you like to see them? Here they are:

These Storks seem to be a very artistic family. In her youth Mum has been a Ballett-Dancer

The Babies are practising for the Circus: "The Two-Headed-Stork"

The family is a very clean one: They have been cleaning and brushing themselves nearly all the time

And now have a look at the flight-lessons:

I'm very curious for the next few weeks. With four young Storks, getting bigger day by day, plus Mum, the nest is already a bit crowded.

See you soon,

Bente

• Hi Bente. The Storks have gotten so big so quickly.!! You have taken a lovely set of photos here, I especially like the wing stretches. It's good to see that they appear to be doing well.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hi Bente, Great set of photos & good to see them all. We have one nest with 5 chicks this year & lots with 4 chicks so it looks like being a good year for them. I don't know how the parents manage to find enough to feed them. Most of the nests have both adults out looking for food now & they leave the chicks alone on the nest.

Best wishes

• Hello Hazel,

it seems to be a good year for Storks. Here many nests have 3 chicks. I wonder myself about the chicks getting enough food, but not because there might not be enough frogs or mice, but because  of what I've seen happening with the nest I've taken my pictures from: As you can see, there are four chicks inside, and certainly they must always be hungry. But during the three or four times that I've been to the nest (and the visit lasted always longer than an hour) always one adult Stork was with them, and the other one returned only once to feed them. I'm quite at ease as they look good and seem to be fit, but it made me wonder. I thought the must need more food.

Kind regards, Bente